Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

1 second mouse freeze - lags (when clicking Start; when changing desktop background...) in win 10x64 with i5-hd530

NNach
Beginner

Hello,

I just bought a new HP Wave 600 desktop computer (i5 6ºgen with Intel Graphics 5300+AMD R9 M470 for 3D+Realtek HD Audio). This model was released in September 2016.

There are short mouse freezes -lags (about 1 sec). It happens sometimes when clicking in Start., ALWAYS when changing desktop background (in the transition between the old and the new background), sometimes when openning some win 10 universal app (twitter for example). Looks like the problem triggers when some animation or graphic transition are involved in the desktop. Tried different mouses. No change. Freezes keep happening. Tried to reinstall the OS from the ground and with no other programs or drivers intalled. No change. The mouse freezes are there from the very beggining after a n OS fresh install. It´s very annoying, frustrating. Any help would be really apreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Nachogo,

In order to better assist you with this, I would like to gather up some useful information from your system.

How can you do this? With the Intel SSU tool, here you can find the instructions to use it:

-Access: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

-Download the utility

-Scan your system with the utility

-Export the report (hit next and then save) and attach it to your answer with the advanced editor option (reply button and then check upper right corner)

Hope I can hear from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
NNach
Beginner

Hello Esteban,

Thanks for your answer. I just run the Intel System Support Utility and saved the report. Here it is.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nachogo,

Thank you very much for the info provided.

My recommendations would be, check if the issue follows the integrated graphics (Intel) or dedicated graphics (M470), then you could run our CPU diagnostic tool and finally, you can perform some memory tests.

Check if the problem follows one of the graphics adapters (iGPU or dGPU):

1. Access the device manager and look for display adapters

2. Right click on one of the devices and then properties

3. Disable the adapter (one of them) and restart the system

4. Try to replicate the issue

5. If the issue is replicated, perform the same test but with the other graphics adapter, after enabling the one you just used

Running Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Here is the download page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

You can simply open the file and then start the tests.

Memory/RAM tests:

1. Follow instructions here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/14201-memtest86-test-ram.html https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/14201-memtest86-test-ram.html

Hope this can be of help for you to sort out the issue, another good option is to contact HP to get further troubleshooting

Please let me know how it goes.

NOTE: This link (external link) is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
NNach
Beginner

Thanks again Esteban, if I disable the AMD Radeon R9 M470, even without restart, then the problem looks like its gone. I mean there are no short lags, for example when changing desktop background (with amd active there is always a lag when changing the desktop background). I need some hours of desktop use to be sure cos I jhad tested without AMD just 15 minutes...

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I understand, Nachogo, what could be happening is a compatibility issue between the cards, or one of the cards is faulty or something related to drivers.

What you can do as of now is the following:

1. Uninstall both drivers, Intel and M470 drivers

2. Install the latest drivers from Intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26464/Intel-Graphics-Beta-Driver-15-45-?product=88345 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26464/Intel-Graphics-Beta-Driver-15-45-?product=88345

3. Install the latest drivers from dedicated GPU: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64 http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

4. Test the behavior of the system

5. Installing all windows updates could also be of help

Hope this can assist us to sort this out

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nachogo,

I would like to verify if you were able to see my last answer in here and if you still require support for the issue.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
NNach
Beginner

Hello Esteban,

first of all, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

I´d been busy troubleshooting the issue. Only after a complete reinstall, not using the win 10 "reinstall the OS without keeping files" but using the HP reinstall of the OS to the HP factory state, the problem with the mouse freeze seems to be solved. I say "seems" cos i did all the process yesterday and, till then, i had been installing -still doing it now- all my soft and hardware stuff. I´m doing it carefully, one by one, and after each installation I´m checking if the mouse freeze returns. When I´ll finish the process I´ll let you know.

Regards.

N.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nachogo,

Thank you very much for the quick answer.

Please do let me know how the system behaves.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nachogo,

I would like to verify if you were able to get this fixed.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
NNach
Beginner

Hello Esteban,

It's being pretty hard.

After reinstall w10 (HP version) from scratch, as I told you in my last message, the lag dissapeared. But cos I had everyday a BSD, always when resume from sleep mode, i tried to update both, intel and AMD graphics, from device manager. Then the lag returned. The only way to get rid of the lag was uninstall and delete, from device manager, both drivers and install both of them again. So now I have no delay lag but my system keeps hanging (BSD) when resume from sleep. I mean, not always but pretty often -once per day aprox-.

May be mouse freezes and BSDs can be related.

I did, following HP stuff guide, a complete hardware check with HP tool that loads just after turning on the system, and everything, included CPU, HD, system and video memory, pass it OK. No problem detected.

The BSD are (MS Event visor data) mainly related to

EventData

BugcheckCode313BugcheckParameter10x3BugcheckParameter20xffffc901e53aee40BugcheckParameter30xffffc901e53aed98BugcheckParameter40x0SleepInProgress4PowerButtonTimestamp0BootAppStatus3221225473Checkpoint0ConnectedStandbyInProgressfalseSystemSleepTransitionsToOn3CsEntryScenarioInstanceId0

I add, to this message, the PDF analisys (using OSR Online) of the minidump created after one of the BSD i had 23 jan 2017.

Maybe it can be useful to track the problem.

Excuse me for such a long post.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Nachogo,

Thank you very much for the answer and information provided.

Please let me know which are the driver version used.

This can be checked in the device manager, Display adapters> Intel HD Graphics 530> Properties and driver tab.

Then a good troubleshooting step would be, disable the dedicated graphics adapter (AMD) in order to test the system with Intel HD Graphics working alone.

Afterward, you can do the same to see if the issue is replicated with AMD graphics adapter.

This troubleshooting could tell us if one of the graphics adapters is triggering the issue.

Additionally, I found this link with possible solutions, check "Resolution" section: http://bit.ly/2kufzi7 http://bit.ly/2kufzi7

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nachogo,

I would like to check if you were able to check the latest recommendations provided in my answer.

Please let me know how it went.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
NNach
Beginner

Hi there Esteban,

I´m actually using HD530 driver 21.20.16.4542 and AMD 21.19.411.0

Both are the latest in Intel and AMD sites.

The AMD detect the ATI as r9 M380 rather than R9 M470 but I have read that the later is a rebrand of the first so I suppose there should be no problem with this.

With both drivers, and for some days at least, I have had no mouse lag-freeze. That´s good.

Related to the recurrent BSD, none in the last to days but at least one per day in the last couple of weeks. I had done, and still I´m doing, a lot of little changes in my win 10 setup to test if it helps.

For example, in msconfig/Boot/ I realized that the "Maximum Memory" box was active (with tick) and below the box the number was 0. With this setting active, in Config/System info/ The message about RAM installed in the system said: 8GB (5.4GB can be use). Looks like, with setup, the system dedicate 2.5 GB exclusively to Intel graphics. Can´t understand it if I have a discrete card, the ATI, for heavy graphic stuff (3d, video editing and Games).

Thats too much, not acceptable, so I untick (disable) "maximum memory" in Boot and then in the system info the RAM says: 8,00GB (7,86 GB can be use). That sound more logical.

Is it OK to keep the "maximun memory" in Boot disable? I hope so.

Is it normal to have 7.86GB of the maximum 8GB for Win10 use and 240 MB dedicated for the HD530? I hope so.

Another question that, please, may you can answer me: In a discrete system like mine, with two graphic cards, I know that i can disable the ATI card with no problem to troubleshooting, but if I disable in device manager the main card for desktop stuff, the HD530, then the ATI will do all the graphic work, including desktop, or the system will not work at all?

Some last bits of info. In my system I connect the 4k monitor to computer via Display Port and my desktop resolution is: 3840x2160 - 60Hz.

Thanks a lot Esteban.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nachogo,

It is good to hear the lag is gone so far!

The maximum memory set as 240MB should be fine.

If one of the graphics adapters is disabled, the other adapter should take "ownership" of the graphics processing required by the system.

Please let me know if this solves your inquiries.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Nachogo,

I would like to verify if you still require support for this matter.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
NNach
Beginner

Hello Esteban,

first of all I want to thank you, and Intel, for such a good support in this thread. A big thanks indeed.

The short mouse freeze issue looks like has been solved with the actual combination of Intel (21.20.16.4574) and AMD (21.19.411.0) drivers. Actually there are only some short mouse lags in the first minute after a reboot (when win 10 is loading all the initial stuff), but i suppose that´s normal.

The BSOD, crash of the system, not always but often, when resuming from sleep is another story. Still happens. No crash at all if i keep my system on all time or when I restart it. Weird.

I`ll keep trying to find why it happens. ¿Maybe is related with the graphic card and the monitor been an LG 4k connected via Display Port 1.2 with the D.P. 1.2 wire ? I´ve read about BSODs when resuming PC in that setup. ¿A bug in HP Bios (V.21) for Wave 600 pc? Don´t know yet. Something is wrong, that´s for sure, and, as I said, i´ll keep searching on my own for what can triggers the BSOD.

Anyway, thanks a lot again for your help. Yes, I think you can close this thread. I suppose now it´s up to me keep fighting against this very odd BSOD when resuming from sleep.

Hope I´ll find a solution.

Have a nice day Esteban. Good work.

Nacho.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nachogo,

Thank you for the informative answer provided.

I am glad to hear the mouse lag issue has been solved, and I hope you can get the system fully working at the soonest.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos