Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

HD 4600 graphic card , currently two monitors, want to get 3rd one connected, How?

idata
Employee

Hi All,

Thank you for reading this. I currently have two 24 inch monitors which are connected to my desktop, they both have 1920x1080 resolution... They are connected via hdmi and vga cables . My intention is to get a third 27 inch monitor. Can I get all three monitors connected ? How do I do that ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Siri12:

In regard to your inquiry, to make sure if you can connect a third display we need to get the model of the video card in order to check what kind of ports it has, based on that:

What is the model of the motherboard?

What is the model of the processor?

What is the model of the video card?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of the laptop?

Which version of Windows are you using?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to review my question. Here it is the information you requested

mother board

ASUS H87M-PLUS/CSM LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor

ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Video Card :

HD Grap[hic 4600

Running version windows 7

This is a desktop

I spoke to a friend who suggested that maybe the best solution is to get a new video card and install... Would that be the case?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Put your 3rd monitor on the motherboard DVI port.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is not it true that I can use either HDMI or DVI but not both at the same time?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

That would be up to the manufacturer of the motherboard. I have not seen such a restriction.. By the way, your board is an ASUS board and not manufactured by Intel.

Also, your processor supports 3 monitors: http://ark.intel.com/products/80817/Intel-Core-i5-4460-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) Specifications

Just try it. It is a cheap and easy solution. If it does not work or is prohibited by the manufacturer, get an add-on adapter (NVidia or amd based)

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

Thank you very much to Al Hill for the information posted previously.

To Siri12:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

I just wanted to confirm the previous information as correct, I checked the specifications of the board and it says it has 3 ports, VGA and HDMI that you are using and then also RGB, it confirms that the board supports 3 displays simultaneously with specific resolutions, so you can use that other port to connect a 3rd monitor, here you have the link to confirm that information:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H87MPLUS/specifications/ https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H87MPLUS/specifications/

But, to use an external video card is always an option for this scenario, that decision will be up to you in this case.

Any further questions about this matter, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos