Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14540 Discussions

4770K only two cores are in use

PDobr3
Beginner

Good day everyone! Recently I bought the 4770K processor and Asus Gryphon Z87 motherboard, in bios settings I enabled setting "use all cores"(don't remember the exact name) and hyper threading. But it seems that the operating system(Windows 7 x64 build 7600) uses only two cores, there only 4 threads are displayed in task manager and CPU-Z also tells that CPU has two cores and four threads. Can anyone help me with this problem please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello D06pblH9l, usually all cores are enabled with default BIOS settings; so, we recommend resetting the BIOS settings first. You may want to contact the motherboard manufacturer in case your system is an exception to this.

Another possibility for this behavior to happen is by having selected a number of processor cores in Windows* System Configuration (msconfig). Again, it should be using default settings such as Normal startup. Basically, it is not necessary to check mark Number of processors in the Boot tab, Advanced options.

After reviewing these settings you can run the http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello D06pblH9l, usually all cores are enabled with default BIOS settings; so, we recommend resetting the BIOS settings first. You may want to contact the motherboard manufacturer in case your system is an exception to this.

Another possibility for this behavior to happen is by having selected a number of processor cores in Windows* System Configuration (msconfig). Again, it should be using default settings such as Normal startup. Basically, it is not necessary to check mark Number of processors in the Boot tab, Advanced options.

After reviewing these settings you can run the http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

0 Kudos
PDobr3
Beginner

Thank you Joe, the problem was in msconfig, the number of processor cores in Windows was set to "4"

0 Kudos