Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4751 Discussions

S1200KRP beep codes, no video

agane
Beginner

Hi,

I just assembled new system of S1200KPR, XEON E3-1220L V2 and 2xCORSAIR 4GB DDR3 PC10666 1333MHZ but the problem is that the system wouldn't start , alI I get is 2 beeps followed by pause and then tho more so 4 in total. According to this article (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-010249.htm Desktop Boards — BIOS beep codes) same behavior on desktop boards indicates wrong cpu (no Intel graphic support) on the mb but as far as I can understand this mb has integrated graphics.

The documentation is a bit confusing to me moreover I failed to find S1200KPR beep codes description.

Need to say that I tested with another known working memory and also there is no other peripherals attached to the system.

Anyway I would be grateful is somebody could help me with this - do I need additional graphic card or the problem is somewhere else.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The Xeon E3-1220L V2 processor doesn't have a graphics core. So you'll need to either use an add-in video card or use a processor with graphics core. See http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s1200kp/sb/CS-032725.htm Tested processor list for more details.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The Xeon E3-1220L V2 processor doesn't have a graphics core. So you'll need to either use an add-in video card or use a processor with graphics core. See http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s1200kp/sb/CS-032725.htm Tested processor list for more details.

0 Kudos
agane
Beginner

Thanks edwardzh, you have been very helpful, I will give it a try with add-in card.

0 Kudos
GAras
Beginner

I've just ordered some cpu's (which I can cancel and change) for my set of BBS1200KPR's and I'm thinking I've made the same mistake.

Are you saying there is no "video" at all without a cpu with the graphic's core?

I don't need high end graphics but I do need video.

0 Kudos
SMSchulz
Novice

Some CPU's(XEON), do and some don't have a graphics core check the specifications in ARK.INTEL.COM

0 Kudos
GAras
Beginner

I'm fully aware of the spec and which cpu's have and don't have embedded graphics.

I don't need HD Graphics so I ordered a cpu without it.

My question is whether or not there is basic vga if the cpu doesn't have the embedded graphics.

I'm gather from this conversation that the mobo's DVI interface is useless without embedded graphics or a graphics card.

I'm looking to confirm that this is the case and a correct interpretation.

0 Kudos
SMSchulz
Novice

Glenara wrote:

My question is whether or not there is basic vga if the cpu doesn't have the embedded graphics.

The answer is NO.

You would need to buy another CPU or install a graphics card.

0 Kudos
GAras
Beginner

Thank you.

I interpreted the mobo spec incorrectly and glad we caught it time to correct my order.

Are you familiar with the 3rd generation i3's?

The intel site doesn't list any of them but the spec says it supports them.

I'm thinking specifically on the i3-3240.

Have you got any advise on the 3rd generation i3's?

0 Kudos
agane
Beginner

I admit that I didn't quite research the features completely but to me the mb specs are a little bit confusing.

From http://ark.intel.com/products/67346/ ARK | Intel&# 174; Server Board S1200KPR:

"

Graphics Specifications Integrated Graphics ‡ Yes Graphics Output DVI-I Discrete Graphics No

and there is the explanation about integrated graphics feature:

Integrated graphics allow for incredible visual quality, faster graphic performance and flexible display options without the need for a separate graphics card.

so maybe it would be better if we can see some notes in bold informing about no gpu on the mb.

0 Kudos
RKoch1
New Contributor I

See the Technical Product Specification.

Section 2.6.1

"The board supports integrated graphics through the Intel Flexible Display Interface (Intel TDI) for processors with Intel Graphics Technology."

0 Kudos
SMSchulz
Novice

I had the same problem too but it was exactly as describe above ~ the CPU I chose did not have a graphic core.

I would have just added a video card but I needed the slot for a RAID card.

Got a new CPU and it worked great.

0 Kudos