Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7445 Discussions

AC 7260 slow download / good upload

AGodi
Beginner

Hi guys!

I've been breaking my head with this issue and I still haven't been able to figure what might be causing, so I wonder if you might have had a similar issue before.

I had 3 devices before, all working with wi-fi connection to the same router, a 3 year laptop on windows 8.1, a BlackBerry Device and an iPod touch. In all of them the internet/wifi connection worked flawlessly.

I changed my laptop for a new one, with an Intel dual band AC 7260 adapter, and since the first moment I used I have not been able to get full speeds. After doing a speed test, upload speed is around 10 mbps (as all the other devices show too) but download speed gets stucked at 1 - 1.5 mbps when I'm able to get 15-20 mbps with all the other devices at the same spot.

If I move the laptop right next to the router, download speeds get to the normal speeds. I've tried changing every single configuration possible that I've found in online support forums, band, frequency, power management, etc., still the same problem. I also tried every single different configuration in my router, with a no go.

I find it completely weird that upload speeds are regular, but the download speed is the one that is suffering.

What might be the problem? I have the latest drivers everywhere and I'm getting desperate about this.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Aldoman,

What OS do you have installed in your new computer? There are many factors that could be affecting your donwload speed and the Windows Update application is one of them as it scans the internet for critical security updates periodically. Also disabling Bluetooth* if its use is not necessary and try your connection in order to check if there is any improvements. Bluetooth* and Wi-Fi utilizes the same antennas and therefore may cause inteferece. We also recommend that, if this wireless adapter is the one installed by factory, to contact the OEM: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites -

1. As a second option, you can try using the generic software from our download center.

2. Download and save Intel PROSet/Wireless Software according to your OS: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75439/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260 Drivers & Software

3. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall the current "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

4. Also in Programs and Features, Uninstall Intel® WiDi Software.

5. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

6. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

7. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.

8. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos