Items with no label
3335 Discussions

SR300 - 3d scan - Face and Full presets not working?

ALast1
Beginner

Hi,

I recently got SR300 Developer Kit, mainly I need it for 3d face scanning. But I have a problem, in 3d scan tool, only one single preset is working - "head".

When I select "face" and click "start camera", camera will be active for few seconds and nothing happens, it goes back into standby mode.

If I select "full", and start scanning, SDK crashes with "DF_3DScan.cs has stopped working" error.

"body" preset says that SR300 has not enough range. I thought I can just move camera around and scan full bodies too, am I wrong about it?

Possible hints at my problems with drivers? 3rd party scanning tools like "easy 3d scan" and "itseez3d" couldn't initialize my camera.

And I should mention that I installed SDK R3 first, and after reading possible solutions I installed R2.

Help? Please

0 Kudos
19 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

It sounds as though your SR300 may be experiencing issues with stability of power supply on the USB port that can cause the camera to disconnect as soon as it starts. Not all USB ports are created equal, and the camera may work on some ports but not on others. Or it may have problems with all the ports on a machine, but work fine on another computer.

Do you have another USB 3.0 port on your computer that you can try the camera in?

If you have a device such as a smartphone or tablet that is chargeable with USB, you may also be able to use this method to supply the camera with enough power without having to purchase a mains-powered USB hub to attach the camera to.

ALast1
Beginner

Hi Marty,

with "face" preset I found out that I need to check on "landmarks", face scan works this way.

But "full", I tried it with camera plugged in other USB 3.0 port, it crashes on "scan start". I doubt that this is issue with power supply on USB, had VR headsets running on this PC with no problems. Can it be drivers related problem? In device manager I have 3 devices of SR300 - RGB that is detected as simple webcam in "Cameras" section + 2 "imaging devices": SR300 Depth and SR300 Virtual Driver. I saw some post on web that all these 3 devices got to be detected under "imaging devices". Can it be possible cause of my problem?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Other USB devices may work on a particular USB port when the camera does not. This is because RealSense cameras are especially sensitive to the stare of the USB port.

Having your RGB driver under the Cameras section of the Device Manager is fine. Some PCs do file it separately in Cameras and put the other two drivers under Imaging Devices. It does not affect the functioning of the camera.

Yes, on face scanning, 'Landmarks' does have to be selected for it to work. You can also select other combinations of options, but Landmarks must be one of them.

The SR300 is not suited to full body scanning because of its limited depth sensing range of around 1.5 m. The best model of the old generation of cameras for body scanning is the R200, as it has a depth range of up to 4 m and so you can position the camera further away and get all of the body into the camera's field of view (FOV).

0 Kudos
ALast1
Beginner

Ok, thanks for explanation!

Is there any method for SR300, so I could scan person 360 including shoulders? "Full" preset is working only with 720p@30 max. and for some reason whatever how still person is sitting, results are like head was moved all the time.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You could perhaps use Cappacity Easy 3D Scan, which is compatible with SR300, and move the camera around the body until all of the detail that you need is scanned in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj6axMAkQ74 Cappasity Easy 3D Scan™ Using Intel® Realsense™ - YouTube

0 Kudos
ALast1
Beginner

Unfortunately 3rd party scanning tools like "easy 3d scan" and "itseez3d" couldn't initialize my camera. This is why I asked about drivers/devices :\

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

As the three drivers are present, a USB instability that causes camera disconnection because of RealSense's USB port sensitivity remains the most likely cause of your camera problems.

0 Kudos
ALast1
Beginner

I just tested camera with easy 3d scan and itseez3d , on 3 different machines. i7 8700, R5 2600, and i5 8600. Graphics gtx1070 and R5+1060. Sadly no luck. itseez3d says "camera not responding... couldn't initialize".

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you have installed the R2 SDK, there should be a program called Camera Explorer installed. You can find it by typing 'camera explorer' into the text box at the bottom of your Windows screen, next to the button where you shut down the PC.

If the SR300 is detectable, you should be able to click on the upper 'Camera (Front) option to open a suite of testing tools for the camera.

0 Kudos
ALast1
Beginner

Ok, Camera Explorer seems to be working and detecting camera, all different resolutions, and depth types are working fine (body with a bit lower framerate). Means drivers etc. everything should be ok right?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

When you bought your SR300, did you install the drivers using the Depth Camera Manager (DCM) program, or did you just plug the camera in and have the drivers install automatically, please?

0 Kudos
ALast1
Beginner

Plugged it, Win10 installed some drivers, and I uninstalled it manually (it looked right though, also with DCM). And after that, Installed intel_rs_dcm_sr300_3.3.27.5718

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure that you had installed the most recently available version of the camera's firmware (the driver that is stored inside the camera instead of on a computer). If you installed the DCM successfully, your firmware version should be fine.

You would be very unlucky if there was USB instability on three different computers of different manufacturers / models that all disconnected the camera when it was activated.

Do you have a chargable USB device such as a tablet or smartphone that you could attach to the computer to provide the USB ports with extra power, as described in the link I provided at the start of this discussion?

0 Kudos
ALast1
Beginner

to provide the USB ports with extra power, I'll be able to try out tomorrow. But I found one software that works and detects SR300 correct - RecFusion. With this software I was able to make some scans and control camera RGB/Depth resolutions etc. itseez3d actually doesn't support SR300 I found their claim on official facebook page. Can be Easy 3d Scan too.

Thanks for help Marty, I'll post results of extra USB power tomorrow (in ~15hrs or so).

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Cappacity Easy 3D Scan should work with SR300, as they have released official YouTube videos showing it being used to scan models on a turntable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWVwKylq3dk Intel RealSense SR300 3D Scanning + DSLR. Powered by Cappasity Easy 3D Scan - YouTube

Having said that, I recall that there have been problems with Cappacity with some users from the 2016 R2 SDK onwards.

I look forward to your test results tomorrow. Thanks!

0 Kudos
MVest2
Beginner

Hi,

I have a BlasterX Senz3D (same hardware as Intel SR300) camera where I loved to be able to login to Windows 10 with Windows Hello.

I just this week purchased a brand new computer: Acer Predator 9000, and I simply put can forget about using Windows Hello. The 3D part of the webcam just does not work. I have installed identical Win10 versions off the same memstick between 3 computers, the same Intel sr300 driver and 2 out of 3 works with Windows Hello (Asus + Corsair One), but not my brand new Acer Predator 9000 - so yes: It has to be something up with the power pr USB 3 input on the Acer Predator.

My Asus ROG GR8 II + Corsair One Pro are "mini PCs" with less amount of USB 3 inputs than the Predator. Can it be that the max power voltage pr "input" is less on a computer with "more units / inputs"? Might be.

I have ordered an ICY BOX 7 port USB 3.0 hub with an external power supply and I do "hope" that this will prove my theory that the Predator simply put does not give enough AMP to the USB ports.

Microsoft will now in 2019 sell their own 3D camera. This is my fallback solution.

Mogz.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Purchasing a mains-powered hub was a good idea, as powered hubs do have a history of solving USB-related problems with the SR300 more than most other workarounds. The history of past cases also suggests though that if the powered hub does not work then it is probably not worth spending time looking into other solutions, since Windows Hello issues with RealSense are so difficult to solve.

0 Kudos
MVest2
Beginner

Hi!

Finally my Windows Hello is fixed on my new Acer Predator 9000. The solution is simple, I puchased Tobii 4C Eyetracker. Simply put: I have a for a while thought that there has to be some form of design flaw in regards of the SR300 especially in the case of not being supplied with its own power adapter. Tobii gave the same error at first (as I tested before installing teh Tobii drivers), and after installing the drivers - voila! My wonderful Windows Hello login + Dashlane Hello login works. Thank God. This drove me nuts. I now can use the old SR300 on my other PC but again... I think the design of that unit is at fault for not being supplied with its own power adapter as I suspect it simply draws to much power for some pcs to handle (or variable power in the boot phase).

My 2 cents..

:-) Hope this helps someone. I picked up the Tobii as a demo model for a very nice price. Check Ebay. I paired this PC up with a regular Logitech webcam for Skype and for me this solves it. Sometimes we have to think outside of the box..

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Thanks so much for sharing your solution with the community! :) I'm really glad you found a fix.

0 Kudos