Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Sudden issue with 82579V on ASUS P8P67-D

JJohn78
Beginner

Hello, I hope this is the right place for this, my apologies if not.

A few days ago my internet connection began to fail by beginning a loop of: Network cable unplugged, Enabled, Identifying..

I initially thought the ISP was at fault but since my motherboard has two NIC's (Intel 82579V and Realtek 8111E) I tried plugging the RJ45 cable into the second port. It began to work again.

So far this is what I've observed:

- The connection through Intel 82579V is stuck in the unplugged, enabled, identifying loop.

- Setting line speed to 10Mbps full duplex on 82579V will stop the loop, but run only at 10% line speed (my internet speed is 100Mbps).

- The drivers ASUS provides on its website do not work: The installer claims "Cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer."

- The latest driver from Intel does work, partially. Properties window in device manager takes suspiciously long to show up, no loop at 100mbps full duplex but the line is very unstable. Speedtest shows fluctuations from 15Mbps to 80Mbps.

- Rolling back to the original Intel drivers brings the problem back.

- Running on the Realtek 8111E provides a constant, stable 94Mbps on auto negotiated 100Mbps full duplex.

- 82579V still shows lights when cable plugged in.

- Device Manager reports no issues.

- Attempted to test connection with a "try-it" version of Ubuntu, both NIC's work however neither were able to access Speedtest or any website claiming to measure internet speed.

Any help with this issue?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi John_B92,

Thank you for the post. What is the operating system used?

As the NIC was working fine before, and you have isolate it is not cable or driver issue.

Have you tried disable the other onboard NIC to see if this will make any improvement?

Have you tried contact Asus support as well since this is an onboard NIC. The Asus support is in better position to check on the hardware aspect of the ethernet controller.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
JJohn78
Beginner

Hello,

I am running Windows 7 64bit.

I have tried your tip, disabled the Realtek NIC and kept only the Intel one online. It actually worked and the line speed was stable. Then I turned the Realtek NIC back on and it kept working.

I then decided to have a cold reboot to check if the issue is actually resolved. It isn't. While now it doesn't die every second thus preventing any type of connection, it's more of an irregular pattern of failures. The line speed is optimal for the duration it works. Switching Realtek NIC on/off doesn't seem to have any effect on this.

Now this is just getting weird..

EDIT: I ran diagnostics on the Intel adapter and it told me there is no valid IP configuration. I then followed buy attempting to reset TCP/IP with netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt - no change.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi John_B92,

Thank you for the update. Can you try re-install the TCP/IP in your windows? You might have tested the cable already, can you try getting another cable to test?

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
JJohn78
Beginner

Hey,

I reinstalled TCP/IP as per those instructions:http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheNuclearOptionResettingTheCrapOutOfYourNetworkAdaptersInVista.aspx The Nuclear Option: Resetting The Crap Out Of Your Network Adapters in Vista - Scott Hanselman

If this isn't the right way please advise.

Connection was stable and running at top speed for over 8 hours. This morning when I booted up though I had a few hiccups indicating that the issue is not fully resolved. I really doubt it is the cable though considering it works fine on the other port.

EDIT: Windows Network Diagnostics still says there is no valid TCP/IP configuration.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi John_B92,

Thank you for the update. Yes, you can use the command to reset (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357) (note this is third party website for your reference, Intel has no control over the content) or simply go into the property of the network adapter, manually remove the TCP/IP then re-install TCP/IP.

Can you try change the cable to test as well?

Thanks

wb
0 Kudos
JJohn78
Beginner

Got a new CAT6 cable, no change.

The upper method has been attempted already, no fruit came out of it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi John_B92,

Have you tried checking with Asus the board vendor? They can further check on the hardware part of the NIC as this is embedded on their system.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi John_B92,

Please feel free to update if you have contacted the board vendor.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos