Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

How can I turn off the intel graphics completely and use my ?

DDamo1
Beginner

I want to know if I can totally disable the Intel HD graphics on my Zbook G1 and use only the Nvidia Quadro K2100M, and I do not want to control this through the control panels through the cards control panel. I run CAM and CAD programs and I think some things I am having troubles with are related to tandem GPU even though the control panel has been setup to suppress the Intel graphics.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Check out this guide (ignore the title) : http://alteredqualia.com/texts/optimus/ How to run WebGL on discrete Nvidia GPU for notebooks with Nvidia Optimus

Otherwise you can disable Intel graphics in device manager.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Check out this guide (ignore the title) : http://alteredqualia.com/texts/optimus/ How to run WebGL on discrete Nvidia GPU for notebooks with Nvidia Optimus

Otherwise you can disable Intel graphics in device manager.

DDamo1
Beginner

Thank you for the response. My system is Enterprise Windows 7 so there is 9 kinds of BS going on through xml, environment variables and stuff that I can read enough to see that the Intel has the upper hand and does in fact follow power saving initiative even though the Nvidia control panel has been setup for primary choice. IT is going to have to disable the Intel through the BIOS so had to turn a ticket in on that. The write up you sent over was perfect and my system fails,

Unmasked Renderer: Microsoft Basic Render Driver

Unmasked Vendor: Microsoft

no mention of Nvidia throughout the test

Running CAD/CAM for a living one thing to not ever have to question is something like this. I get new workstation every 3 years from HP and they are nice machines for engineering - Zbook HP but the system configuration is not perfect for power users. I have been searching for answers one questions like this one for long time. I don't have admin without a ticket and architecture exceptions must be approved for non standard requests even for utilities like the resource or performance monitor to track something like this down. I am upset that I have been using my zBook for 2 years with only task mnagr available to gather system information. So my much needed Quadro has been underutilized during this time.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello postwrtr ,

It depends on how the computer manufacturer designed the system. Some computers have a hardware switch. Some computers have an icon in the Windows taskbar that you can use to switch the graphics controller. Some computers automatically switch to the Intel graphics if the computer changes to battery power, or it can switch to the discrete graphics if the computer is plugged into AC power. Some computers use third party software to do the switch.

Check the help documentation from your computer manufacturer to decide how to make this switch on your computer.

Regards,

Ivan

DDamo1
Beginner

It is gonna be a BIOS rev. for me. I appreciate your feedback you answer was correct in this as well. I believe I am correct about Windows Enterprise having setup in this way so the common control panel for Nvidia does not actually get to assign full control over any specified application as it would in another standard windows platform.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the information and I'm glad that the information I posted was helpful for you.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
DDamo1
Beginner

I turned it off today. I can't believe the difference I see. I am disappointed with my Enterprise architects decision to a,disallow this to be governed by the user considering every engineer has the same workstation. the users really have broad use of their workstations and could benefit from the 2 working in tandem but for CAM applications it is not ideal.

thank you for help

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are very welcome postwrtr! I hope you can have a better experience from now one with your system.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos