Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

New HP Omen gaming laptop, blackscreen when watching video full screen.

JJaso8
Beginner

Hello, I have just purchased this new HP omen gaming laptop and I have had nothing but trouble with it. The specs are, Intel i7 6700HQ 2.6ghz CPU with Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics, GeForce GTX 965m 4GB GDDR Ram, 12GB DDR4 Memory, Samsung 850 Evo SSD HDD. The exact model number is hp omen 17-w033dx. I run a 24" BenQ gaming monitor on the HDMI port as my main monitor, and leave the laptop display as my secondary monitor. When I extend my desktop like I usually do on my older Alienware laptop, I am unable to playback video on browsers in full screen. I have tried chrome, MS edge, Firefox. All produce a black screen while audio is fine. I updated all the drivers, BIOS, windows, everything. I even tried Intels Beta Drivers to no avail. I have searched for weeks on a fix and was about to return this thing, to find out I was a day past the return date and am now stuck with it. I found numerous fixes all which have not worked. The only thing that allows me to have fullscreen playback was disabled hardware acceleration in the browser which works, but wont work for what I need.

I have noticed a few things now. 1, if I change the resolution of the secondary display, my internal laptop display, it plays full screen no problem. If I make it my primary monitor, it plays no problem, which then I cannot game on my big external monitor.

Also, if I disable Intel graphics and only use geforce, it works as well, but then battery life is gone when im on the move. I have seen 100's of forum posts with hundreds of people reporting this on Intel as well, so I am drawing closer to the conclusion its due to the new Skylake CPUs. This is totally unacceptable in my book, as it defeats the purpose of having the HDMI output, and wont allow basic things to work.

Has anyone got a fix for this yet? I know I am not the only one. I found a few people successful changing settings in BIOS, but unfortunately HP locks the bios down which had I'd known that I would have never purchased it in the first place most likely. Which reminds me, I hate that my USB ports wont turn off when I put the thing to sleep, and I cannot get the settings in bios to do it, as windows settings dont override it and they stay on keeping my laptop cooler on all day and night unless I do a full shutdown, and my cat bumps my mouse and wakes it up as well, even with wakeup disabled in windows... Also the wonderful weird ticking noise coming from the power brick when its off seems odd too. I think I may have just got a garbage unit? Anyways, back on topic.

So before someone tells me that I need to disable hardware acceleration, I want to state that this does allow me to fullscreen video, however it causes extreme FPS drops during league of legends while recording with plays.tv. So this is unacceptable. Especially given my 2013 Alienware laptop with half the power of this machine can watch a stream on 1080p fullscreen on laptop screen, play LoL on max settings while recording on 1080p and listening to spotify, and stay at capped FPS all day.

Please if anyone has any information let me know.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Jason161,

Could you please let me know the monitor model?

Please provide your Graphics report, run the report with your actual configuration the one that is causing the issue. See here on how to get the report http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, once you have attach it.

Let me know the model of your Alienware laptop.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JJaso8
Beginner

My alienware laptop is an Alienware m17x 2013, (r3 I believe). Its got a GeForce GTX 770 3GB GDDR Video card, and an Intel 4700MQ CPU/Integrated Graphics.

My BenQ monitor is a

RL2455HM

Here is the intel report.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/107543 Jason161, thank you for the report.

Could you please run the report one more time? But this second time, make sure that your external monitor(the BenQ) is connected to the HMDI port of your laptop. The report will pull the information of it too, but it needs to be connected to the port.

One more thing, could you please let me know the cable brand and model? I would recommend checking if your cable meets the requirement of being HDMI 1.4.

From your report I noticed that you have a previous driver version installed, so in the meantime let's try to update it. See here for the driver version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40], and use this method to ensure the installation http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &...

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JJaso8
Beginner

Okay my cable is fine. The monitor was plugged in, Intel Control panel never shows that I have two monitors, and doesnt let me control multiple displays as I have only been able to extend my desktop through windows display properties. I am assuming that this is due to the HDMI port being from the Nvidia Geforce graphics not the intel?? Here is the new report with new cable, and new drivers, even though I have already tried these drivers. With these drivers no change, still black screens with hardware acceleration enabled on browser and audio is fine until I hit escape and exit full screen.

Here is the new report. Still does not show anything about the monitor at all. Again, I assume because the HDMI port is coming from the Nvidia Geforce graphics card not the intel....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For testing purposes, is there any chance you can switch between the Nvidia and the Intel graphics?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JJaso8
Beginner

I can disable intel, which causes everything to work fine. Its only when I have intel integrated enabled do I have this problem. But yes I can

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I want to know; have you contacted HP in regard to this matter? What troubleshooting steps have they provided so far?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello /thread/107543 Jason161,

I am following up your thread; were you able to contact HP?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos