Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Advanced-N 6205 keeps dropping - Dell Latitude E6420

SH41
Beginner

Hi there - first poster here !

I have a Dell Latitude E6420 with an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 and periodically, the wireless keeps dropping and the eventvwr shows :

"Authentication failed due to incorrect security password (key) (WPA/WPA2)"

it also shows :

"Security mismatch with 11n. 11n is not in operation"

....but then it sorts itself out !!!

Router is fine as i have an IBM laptop that runs perfectly and has never dropped

Software versions show (according the Proset Help/About) as :

Intel ProSet/Wireless Wifi Software14.0.2.0

SoftwareHOWFW0413DDriver14.0.2.2

OS is running :

Windows XP Pro version 2002 / SP3

32 bit

Has anyone else experienced the same and if so, can you advise me how to resolve please as its doing my head in and seems pretty flaky !

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello SHD, welcome to Intel Communities.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that you have faced with your Laptop and the network adapter.

I would like to know if you are able to connected when security is disable, or without security?

There is a new driver version available, you may want to uninstall the current one and restart the system.

Finally install Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 15.8.0

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22785&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP%20%20*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22785&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP%20%20*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications

0 Kudos
SH41
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Sylvia

I have not tried without security

As i say, i have 2 laptops....a Dell and an IBM

The IBM laptop works perfectly at home and at work using the wireless

The Dell also i do not recall having an issue at work running wireless but at home, some days it works ok, but other it will drop, reconnect, drop, reconnect, and then sometimes require a reboot just to let it start working again

Other devices (wifes andriod and our google nexus have never had an issue)

I have just checked the link you supplied but noticed there is a driver only and complete software option also :

Drivers only: Wireless_15.8.0_Dx32.exe

Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software (includes Drivers): Wireless_15.8.0_x32.exe

Can you advise is it driver only or the complete software bundle and can you give a few instructions please of the steps to go through ?

Thanks again for the reply Sylvia

0 Kudos