Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

CPU lifetime when under constant heavy load and high temperature

VVahe
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I have recently started to donate my CPU power to the SETI@Home and rosetta@home projects. This means that the computer I have on 24/7 is nowadays under constant, full CPU load.

The temperatures regularly reach 100 degrees Celsius and peak at 105 degrees Celsius, which is intended as far as I know (105 being the hard limit on these CPUs). My question would be if this kind of usage has relevant implications on my CPU lifespan, or whether a CPU death through this kind of use would be covered by warranty. I understand that it is impossible to give an exact answer, but I would be grateful for some insight on this issue. I have read comments from experienced overclockers that if you overclock a cpu considerably, it will shorten its lifespan, but the figures are something along the lines of "from 15 years to 10 years of a fully functional CPU". 10 years would be more than enough for me.

I can decide not to keep running the program if my CPU lifespan is shortened considerably, but I would prefer to keep donating my CPU power if it has no relevant harmful effects on my hardware. I'll be happy to post more information, should you need it. Below are my system specs.

Thank you in advance for the answers and comments.

Kind regards,

Schwerbelastung

-----

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H with 2012 Bios (04.06.05)

Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (not overclocked) with stock cooler

AMD Radeon 6870, slightly overclocked but stable, the temperatures are around 70-80C when the card is under heavy use

16GB Kingston RAM at 1333MHz

SSD + 1 internal, 2 external HDDs

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the processor community.

I thank you in advanced for the idea to share your processor power for such project.

Indeed lifespan of the processor will vary if your processor will constantly run 24/7. Intel is going to cover the processor if it gets defective within 3 years of warranty.

If you need information about how long will your processor run, please let me know, so, I can send you a private message.

Allan.

0 Kudos
VVahe
Beginner

Hey Allan,

thanks for the speedy reply!

I understand that the lifespan of the processor will be affected by heavy loads and especially high temperatures. It's good to know that it is covered for at least three years. Also, please do send me information about my processor's expected lifespan (according to the details in the OP) via PM when you can. I'd be very interested to learn about this.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks again.

Regards,

Schwerbelastung

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Sure, I will send you the information as soon as I get details for your processor.

Allan.

0 Kudos
YZahe
Beginner

I Have this issue too.

I need a datasheet or any papaer that show life span of cpu in 100% load in 24/7.

I Need it for my resaerch.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

This information is not publicly available, if you are requesting Mean Time Between Failure documentation, please provide your processor model.

Allan.

0 Kudos
YZahe
Beginner

hi i need for Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 2.30 GHz and Intel Xeon E5-4669 v3, 2.10 GHz

thanks.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

YahyaZahedi

I sent you private message.

Allan.

0 Kudos
ZKoko
Beginner

Could you PM me the MTBF of i7 4930k at 100% load?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have sent a private message.

Allan.
0 Kudos
nenavision
Beginner

Could you PM me the MTBF of my xeon e5 2678v3 or e5 2680v3(socket 2011-3) and xeon e5 1650 (socket 2011-0) at 100% load, please?

0 Kudos
Neil25
Beginner

Hi Allan_J,

I'm also curious about the life expectancy of an i5 processor, since we're planning to embed the processor into biometric product, but would like to offer a 5 year extended warranty option to some of our customers.

I've read that over-clocking and poor cooling will obviously shorten the life-expectancy, but assuming the product design meets Intel's design requirements, I'm curious to understand what the average life-expectancy of the CPU would be? I've read 5-10 years on lots of forums but nothing official. Do you have any data that you could possibly share please?

Kind Regards,

Neil25

0 Kudos