Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

MFSYS35 network modules

MSmit25
Beginner

Due to issues using shared LUNS via an external SAS storage unit, we have decided to go with a iSCSI device.

We have two blades installed which run XEN OS.

We have two switch modules installed. Only one of these is being used. and has two internal connections from this switch to each XEN server which we have bonded.

Ideally I would like to use the 2nd switch module to connect the iSCSI storage unit.

looking in the modular server control i can see the 2nd switch unit and there are no external connections. What is surprising me is that Server 1 and Server 2 ports are enabled but show as down. I would have thought these would be up, but if i look at the XEN boxes they do not see these ports either.

Does anyone have any ideas how i enable these so the XEN servers see a total of 4 ports, 2 from the existing switch and two from this one?

Thanks.

PortVLAN IDEnabledLinkSet SpeedCur SpeedVlan Mode Span TreeExternal: Port 1 1 Yes Down Auto N/A General Enabled External: Port 2 1 Yes Down Auto N/A General Enabled External: Port 3 1 Yes Down Auto N/A General Enabled External: Port 4 1 Yes Down Auto N/A General Enabled External: Port 5 1 Yes Down Auto N/A General Enabled External: Port 6 1 Yes Down Auto N/A General Enabled External: Port 7 1 Yes Down Auto N/A General Enabled External: Port 8 1 Yes Down Auto N/A General Enabled External: Port 9 1 Yes Down Auto N/A General Enabled External: Port 10 1 Yes Down Auto N/A General Enabled Server 1: Port 1 1 Yes Down 1G-FDX N/A General Enabled Server 1: Port 2 1 Yes Down 1G-FDX N/A General Enabled Server 2: Port 1 1 Yes Down 1G-FDX N/A General Enabled Server 2: Port 2 1 Yes Down 1G-FDX N/A General Enabled Server 3: Port 1 1 Yes Down 1G-FDX N/A General Enabled Server 3: Port 2 1 Yes Down 1G-FDX N/A General Enabled Server 4: Port 1 1 Yes Down 1G-FDX N/A General Enabled Server 4: Port 2 1 Yes Down 1G-FDX N/A General Enabled Server 5: Port 1 1 Yes Down 1G-FDX N/A General Enabled Server 5: Port 2 1 Yes Down 1G-FDX N/A General Enabled Server 6: Port 1 1 Yes Down 1G-FDX N/A General Enabled Server 6: Port 2 1 Yes Down 1G-FDX N/A General Enabled
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Do I have to add a mezzanine card to each compute module?

One Dual Gigabit Ethernet I/O Expansion Mezzanine Card AXXGBIOMEZ is required for each compute module that needs to access the second switch.

What kind of compute modules are in the MFSYS35, and have you added a mezzanine card to each?

(info from http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/mfsys25/sb/CS-028603.htm Intel® Modular Server System MFSYS25 — FAQs about the Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Switch AXXSW1GB )

0 Kudos
MSmit25
Beginner

Thanks Dan_O.

I figured out that was what we needed. I have been advised we can't get the cards so had to go with the SAS unit in the end. Do you know of any documentation on how to configure SAS expansion devices to work with this chassis? I was hoping that i would see the LUNS from the expansion unit on the MFSYS35 modular server control but i don't. Does this just pass through the SAS connection meeing that allocating hosts must be done on the external device?

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

You won't see LUNs from an expansion unit in the modular server GUI. It will only pass through commands.

How do I configure my external RAID subsystem through the GUI? Do I have to attach it to both SCMs if I run in dual-mode?

The external storage array management software must be used to configure all drives within the array. Please see the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/mfs5520vi/sb/CS-030301.htm tested hardware and operating system list (THOL) for the list of peripherals that can be attached to the external SAS port. You must order external RAID subsystem units with a second controller to be able to attach to both SCMs simultaneously.

and

How do I connect external devices to the SCM?

View the back of the chassis, and select the SCM. Select Actions - Expansion Port. Choose the module that will use the external device, and click Apply.

See the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-029660.htm Promise* VTrak Connection Guide for more information.

from http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/mfsys25/sb/CS-028605.htm Intel® Modular Server System MFSYS25 — FAQs about the Intel® Storage Controller AXXSCM3S

0 Kudos