Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Have ipmi over lan some limitations ?

SB17
Beginner

Hi

May any clarify one question ?

Why the Intel continues to maintain a separate ipmi port, and does not do all ports combined with ipmi and gigabit Ethernet? ipmi over Ian has an some limitations?

P.S. Its for sj2000 servers

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Not sure I understand the question.

The BMC is the IPMI handler in the servers boards.

For most the Intel boards, the BMC has a dedicated NIC module option exclusively for the use of the BMC and IPMI network commands.

The BMC is also able to share the network connection of the with the mother board NIC 0 or NIc 1. The default is NIC 0

There are also some limitations on network configurations when using multiple Network connection to the BMC. (The can not be on the same subnet)

Add in card NIC are not wired to the BMC so can not access the BMC via IPMI commands.

Within the OS local mode, IPMI commands can access the BMC,

I am not familiar with the sj2000? What board does it use?

0 Kudos
SB17
Beginner

Thanks for you reply

Question arose for such a reason

Supermicro servers have a dedicated port for BMC as well as the ability to access through other LAN port after setting ipmi-over-lan

With the Supermicro words using IPMI in Supermicro server from not dedicated BMC port (from other motherboard LAN port) have the problem.

BMC is connected to other gigabit LAN ports (on the one motherboard) from some switch. This switch have bandwidth around 400 Kb.

Hence non dedicated LAN for BMC connect has a low bandwidth. This can be seen when connecting from remote console when browsable host use graphic interface.

Is interesting if there is the same problem in intel servers

P.S. sorry, I wrong, motherboard S2600 series
0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

The NIC speed on the Intel platforms depend on the specific board layouts.

Some are Gbit, some are 100Mbit.

Assuming you have an Intel board with a 1Gbit shared network connection the total bandwidth of the connection (BMC and Mother Board OS ) can go as high as 1 Gbit.

In theory you could see the mother board or the BMC connection slow as the load is shared because the other is using the bandwidth, but in practice even when doing KVM redirection the BMC runs fine on 100Mbit.

Using the dedicated NIC eleminates this potential speed loss by running the BMC on its own NIC while adding the securtity of a more limited accecable management network.

0 Kudos
SB17
Beginner

I am sorry, I was leaving

Thanks for the informative answer
0 Kudos