Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Does the zr300 3d camera see plexiglass walls?

PLeon4
Beginner

I was going to buy a realsense camera for a robotic project but since I need to 3d-scan a plexiglass delimited room (4mm plexi) i was asking if it sees it as a wall or because of the ir it bugs or something...

thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi LeOpa,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel RealSense Technology.

I believe that it most likely not see the plexiglass wall. The plexiglass will transmit the IR from the camera, this means that the IR will go right through, not bounce back to the camera.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

0 Kudos
Michael_M_Intel1
Employee

Actually... IR transmission in plexiglass is pretty wonky, with many peaks and valleys. See http://www.plasticgenius.com/2011/05/infrared-and-ultraviolet-transmission.html Plexiglass Sheets, Fiberglass, UHMW, Polycarbonate & Engineering plastics: Infrared and Ultraviolet Transmission in Plex…

I never thought to try looking at a plexiglass sheet with the IR cameras to see if at the particular wavelengths the camera uses Plexiglass (aka clear Acyrlic) is actually transparent. It may, in fact, be opaque.

The other issue is surface specularity, though. If the plexiglass is also polished, the laser may just bounce off in a direction the camera can't see it...

There is one solution to both problems that may or may not work in your context: sprinkle some fine dust on the surface, like talc powder. There are also special sprays you can get for laser scanning that (temporarily) add a diffuse film to the surface. Of course you need to clean it off afterwards, but a dustvac and/or a wet cloth takes care of talc.

0 Kudos
Michael_M_Intel1
Employee

When I get a chance I will test this! Not the spray (that is sure to work) but whether I can see through clear Acrylic or not with the ZR300 and/or R200.

0 Kudos