Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14500 Discussions

ISSUE READING OUT CORRECT FREQUENCY FOR CORE 9, 6950X, USING INTEL EXTREME TUNING UTILITY

DProc1
Beginner

MY SYSTEM:

ASUS X99-E-10G WS

INTEL i7-6950X

16G of MEMORY (2X8)

EVGA 1200W PLATINUM POWER SUPPLY

NVMe SAMSUNG 960 EVO (500g)

WINDOWS 10 PRO 64BIT

I never had this problem before. My original 6950X IMC failed but before it failed, I could see the correct cpu core frequencies for cores 0 through 9, using the INTEL EXTREME TUNING UTILITY.

The replacement processor appears to be working correctly but core 9 does not read out the actual frequency. If I set 3.5ghz for all the cores, then cores 0-8 read 3.5ghz in the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. BUT, core 9 does NOT read out 3.5ghz. It jumps between 3.0 to 4.0 every 5-10 seconds, with no middle ground readout. It either reads 3.0ghz or 4.0ghz, nothing in-between!

The Asus program for windows which monitors all the appropriate sensors and frequencies says core 9 is at 3.5ghz. I also did a CPU-Z dump and that says core 9 is at 3.5Ghz.

What is up with CPU or Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility????......Don

0 Kudos
19 Replies
DProc1
Beginner

PS: I do have the latest Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, which is 6.2.0.24

Don

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Don_P,

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Based on your description it seems like the Intel® XTU is not providing the accurate information, so let's try to uninstall it and re-install it, see below for some instructions;

1. Access Programs and Features.
  2. Find the Intel® XTU, right click and hit Uninstall
  3. Follow the prompts.

Once completely uninstall try to install the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- Download Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) one more time.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
DProc1
Beginner

My apologies. I should had said I tried uninstalling, reinstalling. In fact, I downloaded the program again and did the installation from the new download. Same, same!

Don

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the clarification Don.

For testing purposes; can you access safe mode and run the Intel® XTU? Please let me know if you still get the same results.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
DProc1
Beginner

Bummer. Something happened on going into the Safe Mode and now it will not boot. I get Machine_Check_Exception code. I tried to repair using the Windows 10 Pro install disc but no luck!

I just received my Xeon E5-2696 v4. I am going to put that in the Asus WS board and then run Windows 10 setup. I presume Intel's XTU will at least read that processor. Do you know?

I do have another X99 board (EVGA) that I can install the 6950X on to see if I can duplicate the problem on that board. I'll let you know by tomorrow or late tonight...smile

Don

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Don, if that is an option for you, please give it a try. Yes, it should read that processor.

I would like to know your results, keep me posted.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Don, were you able to test the processor?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DProc1
Beginner

Hi Amy,

I put the Xeon E5-2996 v4 into my Asus X99-E-10G WS and it booted fine except the bios only sees 18 cores. The bios post screen identifies the 2696 v4. Since it is an OEM processor and very close to being like the 2699 v4, Asus still will not support it.

In Windows 10 Pro, All 22 processors/44 threads show up. The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility will not report the frequency, temp or almost anything else. Otherwise, it is a good processor, and it is a workhorse!!

My 6950X is still not working correctly with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on the last core. It still bounces between 3.0 and 4.0 Ghz when the frequency is set at 3.5 Ghz. Is that the processor or Tuning Utility. I presume the Utility although it wasn't that way before.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Don, thanks for the update.

At this stage this is the only report we have received with the tool and this specific system configuration, like you mentioned is the processor or the tool. So, we could try replacing the unit first and then if the issue persists I will start an investigation.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DProc1
Beginner

Good Morning, Amy,

I will pull out my EVGA X99 Classified board, which has the 6950X installed already. I just have to switch my water cooling system over to it, along with VC and M.2 drive. I had installed a fresh OS install in win 10 Pro, so it should not have any kinks in the OS to prevent software from operating correctly. As far as the E5-2696 v4, I think the Intel Extreme Utility software needs to be updated for Xeon processors.

I'll let you know how the 6950X works with the ITU program. I am up against leaving for the Memorial day weekend so, I have a bunch to do before leaving....wink & smile.

Best regards,

Don

0 Kudos
DProc1
Beginner

Here are the results from testing on the EVGA X99 Classified board. This is for the 6950X:

First image is steady at 3.5 Ghz. Notice "Core 9" (last core) is seen at 4.0. It actually bounces between 3.0 to 4.0 ghz. It never steady's up at 3.5 ghz

The 2nd image is during the ITU benchmark where the frequencies will bounce up and down as it does its thing. Notice "Core 9" is locked at 3.0 ghz.

0 Kudos
DProc1
Beginner

I inserted the wrong image for the bench. Here it is:

0 Kudos
DProc1
Beginner

Amy, when you say, we can replace the 'unit,' you are talking about the i7-6950X. Correct?

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the pictures, the issue is still present there.

Yes Don, I meant the processor. I am sorry for not being specific.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DProc1
Beginner

Do you start that action or do I?

Don

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Don, please get in contact with our warranty department, see the option below:

Online Service Request

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/my-intel/support-sign-in.html?redirect=https://sfederation.intel.com/federation/Init_Salesforce_ISVC.asp?RelayState=/supportrequest?lang=en-US

Live Chat

http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_processor_ww_english_Chat

Phone

Phone Number: 1-916-377-7000

Business Hours: Monday - Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time)

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DProc1
Beginner

Thank you for all your help! I wish you a Happy Memorial Day weekend, from a retired Navy veteran.....Don

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, you're welcome. Happy Memorial Day to you too Don!

Please let me know how as soon as you get the replacement.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DProc1
Beginner

Okay, I will do it when I return home in a little over a week from now.

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos