Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Please check your Processor Thermal Solution

NWoll
Beginner

Lately my computer has "randomly" been getting BSOD-like issues. It will fail with the messages "Your PC ran into a problem and need to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." & "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL (ndis.sys)".

Now when I restart I get "511-CPU fan not detected". Press [F1] (?) to boot, so I do & then it boots up as if everything is normal.

I ran IPDT_Installer_4.0.0.29, the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. It failed on the CPULoad.

The Test Summary window has these messages:

FAILCPU1 - CPULoad - Fail.

FAIL IPDT64 Failed

The Temperature Monitor window has these messages:

1 degrees C below maximum

Test Result - FAIL

Expected Greater than 1 degrees below max

Received 1 degrees below max

Test FAILED

Please check your Processor Thermal Solution

Temperature Monitor Stopped

I've attached the TestResults file.

Here's some computer info:

• System model = HP COMPAQ 8200 ELITE CONVERTIBLE MINITOW
  • Processor = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
  • Operating system = Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

I'm not sure what to do about this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TGrab1
New Contributor III

I would say with 90% certainty that it is.

Your CPU was overheating due to the fan and this was causing the system to become unstable and crash. If you have some compressed air I would try blowing all the dust out of your system especially the heatsink and fan. I would also consider just replacing the fan to avoid this issue in the future. It could be the fan was just jammed up with dust, but it could also mean it is starting to fail.

Better to be safe than sorry in this situation. Anyways I am glad you figured out the problem.

If you have further issues with the BSOD after correcting the fan issue just report back. It could also be tied to a NIC card driver, but I still think it will be due to the overheating issue you had causing instability across the system.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello wollern,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are having temperature issues with your system, let me share some recommendations to try to solve this.

Please apply new thermal paste on your processor. (it is recommended to replace it at least once a year)

Check /thread/101224 this thread regarding a similar issue.

For overheating issues, you can check the following articles:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005776.html Troubleshooting Overheating Issues

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005576.html How to Apply Thermal Interface Material (TIM)

I hope this information helps.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

JC
TGrab1
New Contributor III

This might seem like a silly question, but have you tried visibly checking the fan to see if it is spinning?

That error code could also mean there is something wrong with the fan as in spinning too slow or not at all. This would explain the error code and the high temps.

After doing a quick google I see this is a common error for HP machines that are indeed having fan issues. I would definitely check your fan. If it is indeed the fan then that is a pretty cheap and easy fix.

NWoll
Beginner

Not a silly question at all...start with the obvious & move on from there.

When this problem first started happening, I popped open the cover & verified that both fans inside the box were indeed spinning.

Tonight when I checked, however, the cpu fan was not. I gave it a little nudge & now it's spinning nice & quietly.

I'm going to rerun that Diagnostic Tool to see what it says now.

0 Kudos
NWoll
Beginner

The Processor Diagnostic Tool now PASSED.

I'm not sure what the fan got stuck on...a little nudge & away it went. It was pretty dusty in there, of course.

Is it possible that the CPU fan issue is related to the "bsod" problem (with the "Your PC ran into a problem and need to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." & "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL (ndis.sys)" messages)?

...or is it more likely that it's just a coincidence that these two things happened at the same time?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi wollern,

I am glad to hear the issue is resolved now.

As TGrable mentioned, the BSOD could be certainly related to the overheating issues you were experiencing, you can check http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005791.html this information regarding possible system behaviors when talking about overheating.

Please don't hesitate in reaching us out if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

I would say with 90% certainty that it is.

Your CPU was overheating due to the fan and this was causing the system to become unstable and crash. If you have some compressed air I would try blowing all the dust out of your system especially the heatsink and fan. I would also consider just replacing the fan to avoid this issue in the future. It could be the fan was just jammed up with dust, but it could also mean it is starting to fail.

Better to be safe than sorry in this situation. Anyways I am glad you figured out the problem.

If you have further issues with the BSOD after correcting the fan issue just report back. It could also be tied to a NIC card driver, but I still think it will be due to the overheating issue you had causing instability across the system.