Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7444 Discussions

Dropping connection Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2200

MMart36
Beginner

Hi,

I have Lenovo Y580 with Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2200. During the last 2 years, my wifi device worked sometimes better, sometimes worse, but it was never perfect. I tried many solutions but none of them worked, I feel hopeless.

My OS is Windows 8.1

Anyway, my problem is: I connect to a wifi network, connection is fine, everything works well and then, out of a sudden, the connection is dropped. However, the laptop automatically reconnects in a few seconds. The internet connection still doesn't work, the status is "Identifying.." then the connection is dropped again, then reconnect etc. etc. approximately 5 - 10 times (all of it automatically) until it works properly again.

This happens 3 or 4 times per hour. It didn't use to be this bad, but I didn't install anything network related.

This is happening with:

• the newest drivers and the newest Intel PROSet software (18.2.0)
  • the drivers downloaded from Lenovo's website for my laptop (15.12.0.6)

any suggestions?

I turned on logging, which you can find attached. You can see many connections and disconnections in a short period of time.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello stajnko,

There are many possible reasons for connection drops, try the following to prevent some of the most common causes:

- Install the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1*, version 16.11.0:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23726/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1*

- Contact the manufacturer of your wireless router and make sure you are using the most recent firmware for it.

- Apply the configuration from the advisory: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm Wireless Networking — What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

- Test setting your wireless encryption method to WPA2-AES, or with no encryption.

- Try placing the PC close to the Access Point.

0 Kudos
MMart36
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply.

I installed the drivers you suggested and applied the configuration for 802.11n. Unfortunately, it didn't help. My laptop is close to the AP (approx. 2-3 metres between my laptop and the router (wall between)) and signal strength is usually full. I cannot make any changes to the router, but it shouldn't matter, as I have the same problems with many different routers and many different wi-fi networks.

Is there any way how to log individual steps of what is going on with my network device?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos