Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

Monitor 1 doesn't display unless monitor 2 is connected

ALadn
Beginner

Hi all,

I had my one Asus PG278Q monitor connected via display port to my 7700K's integrated graphics, and I changed the refresh rate in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel from 59Hz to 144Hz, and then my monitor stopped displaying. It always shows "no signal" and when I connect my roommates' monitor via HDMI to the integrated graphics, both monitors will display. My monitor stops displaying the instant I unplug the HDMI cable from my roommates' monitor, even if that monitor is off. I've reinstalled the Intel Graphics driver, reset all the settings for my monitor, restarted the computer, etc, but my monitor will not display without the other one connected. Does anyone have an idea as to what's happening?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello bassquake,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support. I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with an external monitor and the Intel® HD Graphics controller in your Intel® Core™ i7-7700K processor. Please let us know if you are using adapters or splitters with the monitors.

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your monitors. Please connect the two monitors and follow the instructions below:
  1. Right click on the Desktop, and click on Graphics Properties.
  2. Click Options and Support, and then click Information Center.
  3. Click on Save (save it in your desktop).
  4. Attach the report to this thread.
Also, please attach another report to check the information about your system. Please follow these steps:
  1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.
  2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
  3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).
  4. Attach the report to this thread.
To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
ALadn
Beginner

Here are the reports generated.

I also uninstalled the display adapter, shut down the computer, and booted up with only my Asus monitor plugged in. It still won't display anything after POST. Then I plug in my roommates' monitor and both monitors start to display the desktop.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bassquake,

Thank you for the information. Please bear in mind that Intel® does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. We can recommend you to update your graphics driver, that in some cases will fix the problem.

Please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
  1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27199/eng/win64_154702.4815.zip
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer.
Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bassquake,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
ALadn
Beginner

Hi Xavier,

Sorry for the late reply. I've actually reinstalled drivers for the display several times, the issue still occurs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bassquake,

I am sorry to hear that you are still having the same issue even with the latest driver release.

We will need to replicate this issue in our labs, and we might need to escalate it to the next level of support to be able to find a solution for you.

Per procedure, please follow the next link to find a table. Reply to this post and add that table answering all the requested information: https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bassquake,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back, including the table as requested above.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos