Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Question about overclocking

WMelo
Beginner

So i recently saw someone make an video explaining how you could overclock your laptop cpu i downloaded intel extreme tuning utility but my options arent the same as his the multipliers are greyed out and i cant change it does this mean that my laptop isnt supported or something help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Leon_Merts
New Contributor II

Hi Maarten_Verburg,

As far as I know only the CPU's ending with K or X are unlocked CPU's and therefore overclock-able. The others are not.

I don't know the exact CPU type you are using but you can check compatibility here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/66427/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html Support for Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)

Regards,

Leon Merts

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, let's be clear: Only processors ending with K or X have their multiplier unlocked. Other methods for overclocking (adjusting clocks, etc.) may still be available. XTU will enable those that you have to play with. These may be severely limited in a Mobile design, however.

...S

WMelo
Beginner

N.Scott.Pearson could you be more specific of which sliders can help improve performance of my cpu?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, for example (and if the capability is offered by the board), you may be able to increase the base clock.

I don't profess to be a very knowledgeable overclocker, since I don't play with this stuff myself. The ICS folks likely won't have the knowledge either, since, officially, Intel does not condone overclocking. You should go to one of the overclockers forums and ask this question there...

...S

0 Kudos