Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Problem with Samsung UN40MU6300 TV and Windows 10 PC - 4k @60Hz - Please help

GReci
Beginner
  1. Hi guys,

I have a new Samsung UN40MU6300 40" TV. I'm able to connect one of my Windows 10 PCs (Sager NP8651 laptop) to it at 4k, but the refresh rate maxes out at 30 Hz. It has a dual GPU configuration. An Intel integrated HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia Geforce GTX970. I've determined that it is has something to do with the GPU because it works fine on another PC. The other PC has a single discrete display adapter configuration, Nvidia Geforce GTX 660. I'm able to get it to work with the TV with 4k@60Hz. Has anyone encountered the same problem? If so, what was your resolution?

TIA,

grecinos
0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello grecinos,

Thank you for reaching the Intel Communities. I understand you would like to use the 4K TV with the system in the desired configuration.

4K @60Hz depends on some factors we have to consider:

• An HDMI 2.0 connection is required, check if the video port on the laptop uses is HDMI 1.4 or 2.0
  • Another video port that should support this is DisplayPort
  • If adapters are required, an active adapter is desired to be used

I would like to check, how were you connecting the TV to the other computer that worked?

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
GReci
Beginner

Hello Estebn

Thanks for the response. I've since ordered a display port to HDMI 2.0 adapter. I'm getting it today.

The PC that worked was connected directly to the TV using a High Speed HDMI cable. Something else to note, is that the PC that works, is years older than the one that doesn't. Also, I have a 3rd PC that has the Intel/Nvidia adapter configuration. That PC also has the same problem.

Regards,

George

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi grecinos: You are welcome. Thank you very much for providing that information. Perfect, please let us know the results of testing the HDMI 2.0 adapter.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
GReci
Beginner

Here's what I've observed with the mini display port to HDMI 2.0 adapter...

It works, but there's a significant amount of lag at 4k resolution. Windows doesn't complain when I configure a custom resolution of 4k @60Hz. It used to complain when it was connected directly to the HDMI port. 1080p resolution works with minimal lag. I can now play HDCP protected content with the adapter.

Regards,

George

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for reporting back the system's behavior while using the HDMI 2.0 adapter.

If you face further questions, let me know.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos