Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Replacement of N2230 with N7265

TBunk
Beginner

Hi all,

I've an older laptop with Centrino N 2230 WLAN & BT. But I got more and more problems with networks last time. So I think I need an replacement of this.

Is the Dual Band Wireless - 7265 an real replacement for this? It have also BT, but the dimensions are different.

And can I use the monitor mode for p-testing with Linux on this adapter?

I will use this with Windows (10, 7, XP) and Linux as a physical or virtual machine.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Domainator,

We understand you're looking to install a newer wireless adapter on you laptop. Before proceeding, there are a few things to keep in mind.

1. We don't provide support for custom wireless integrations (upgrades).

1. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

2. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

2. Many computer manufacturers limit which wireless adapters may be installed in their systems through a hardwired white-list. This may result in a seemingly compatible adapter not working.

3. Wireless adapters are manufactured in (mainly) two form factors:

1. Half Mini-PCIe Card aka HMC. We have discontinued this form factor, the last adapter released in HMC was the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, which is no longer manufactured since the beginning of 2017.

2. M.2. The industry is favoring M.2 as the prevailing form factor at this time, most current adapters are available in this shape.

The Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 was only manufactured in HMC, while the 7265 was only made in M.2, this is why your adapter will not fit properly. To avoid further hardware compatibility issues, our recommendation is to check with your computer manufacturer for pre-approved wireless adapter models. If possible, it's also recommended to purchase the replacement from your OEM as well.

If your computer manufacturer is not very forthcoming in their support, and you're willing to take the risk, you may try using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260. However, it's important to make sure that you purchase the HMC model, as this adapter was made available in both form factors. Keep in mind we cannot guarantee it will work, nor how well.

Now, for the second part.

Monitor mode is not supported by our drivers. You may use the adapter in a virtual machine, as long as the hyper-visor supports wireless connectivity. Usually, you'll need to create some sort of bridged connection to share your internet connectivity with the VM.

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello Domainator,

We understand you're looking to install a newer wireless adapter on you laptop. Before proceeding, there are a few things to keep in mind.

1. We don't provide support for custom wireless integrations (upgrades).

1. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

2. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

2. Many computer manufacturers limit which wireless adapters may be installed in their systems through a hardwired white-list. This may result in a seemingly compatible adapter not working.

3. Wireless adapters are manufactured in (mainly) two form factors:

1. Half Mini-PCIe Card aka HMC. We have discontinued this form factor, the last adapter released in HMC was the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, which is no longer manufactured since the beginning of 2017.

2. M.2. The industry is favoring M.2 as the prevailing form factor at this time, most current adapters are available in this shape.

The Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 was only manufactured in HMC, while the 7265 was only made in M.2, this is why your adapter will not fit properly. To avoid further hardware compatibility issues, our recommendation is to check with your computer manufacturer for pre-approved wireless adapter models. If possible, it's also recommended to purchase the replacement from your OEM as well.

If your computer manufacturer is not very forthcoming in their support, and you're willing to take the risk, you may try using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260. However, it's important to make sure that you purchase the HMC model, as this adapter was made available in both form factors. Keep in mind we cannot guarantee it will work, nor how well.

Now, for the second part.

Monitor mode is not supported by our drivers. You may use the adapter in a virtual machine, as long as the hyper-visor supports wireless connectivity. Usually, you'll need to create some sort of bridged connection to share your internet connectivity with the VM.

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.