Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Older OpenGL games - glitches/artifacts

MKalu
Novice

Hello Intel community.

I've got some problems regarding older OpenGL games like NeverWinter Night and/or Anachronox.

Those games as far I remember are OpenGL 1.xx type.

I tested those games with my Iris PRO 580 GPU and some older Ivy Bridge Intel HD type.

My PC is Windows 10 + newest drivers (.4815 but those errors occured on previous too), my old laptop is using Windows 8.1 and newest possible drivers for my Celeron 1005M.

Is there any chance to get rid off those glitches? I know those games are rather old, but not forgotten.

As far I can tell those artifacts are related to lighting effect (flares etc.) but I've got some UI bugs in NWN.

I assume that it might happen in other, older OpenGL games but it I'm not playing it ATM so I just can't share more examples of those bugs.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Try an OpenGL proxy, i.e. copy an alternate opengl32.dll into the application's folder (but not into the Windows folder!)

http://gerigeri.uw.hu/TitaniumGL/gamerdown.html TitaniumGL

https://fdossena.com/?p=mesa/index.frag Mesa3D For Windows - Federico Dossena

Performance will drop using software GL, but shouldn't matter too much with very old games.

0 Kudos
MKalu
Novice

It didn't help.

TitaniumGL add even more bugs, barely playable (10FPS at best).

Mesa3D - super duper slideshow, but there is no corruption in graphic - only flickering all the time.

I assume those workarounds should be good for older apps working in 2D or very, very light 3D.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mikolaj612,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support. I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with older OpenGL® games and Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 580. There has been released a more recent version of the driver that you can try. First, uninstall the current driver, and then manually install the latest version.

Please follow the steps below to uninstall the graphics driver:
  1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel® Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.
Please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
  1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27266/a08/win64_15600.4849.zip
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer.
Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
MKalu
Novice

Hello again.

After testing NWN and Chronicles of Riddick I can tell that graphical glitches are finally gone!

I'll install Anachronox and Gothic III later to check them out, they were little unplayable with those major glitches.

So those 15.60 driver brings a whole new quality in terms of old games

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mikolaj612,

I am very glad to know that the glitches are now gone thanks to the latest driver version. I hope that your other games work properly as well with this new driver.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos