Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Lower resolution file support in 4k display

idata
Employee

Hi, I have a customized Envy with i7- 7500U, 16gb ram, 4gb graphics and 4k display. The media files that I am having are of 720p and 1080p resolution and I cannot able to get the clarity in 4k display. The software that I am using are also not supporting 4k display and It looks very smaller in the screen.

1.Is there any way to change the resolution of the screen to 1080p ? ( I have tried in screen resolution to 1920*1080 but the clarity of the media files have not changed but it supported the software )

2. Is there any way to upscale the lower resolution to 4k ? / or downscale the 4k screen resolution to 1080p ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello Nandhagopal,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support. I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with 720p and 1080p files in a 4K screen.

I do apologize for the inconvenience, but changing the screen resolution will not alter the quality of the files. For example, if a video was recorded in 720p, it will keep its quality even if you are playing it in a 4K screen. That would be the reason why you may see it smaller, or not as clear as you would expect.

About the video clarity, if you take a 4K screen and lower it resolution down to 1080p, it is usual that the entire screen clarity becomes affected since that is not the intended resolution for this particular screen.

In any case, if you want to change your screen resolution, you can just select an option in a range of supported resolutions. To do it, right-click the Desktop, click Graphics Properties > Display > General Settings; select the desired option under Resolution, and then click Apply on the bottom right.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos