Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Slow speeds with AC 8265

KCheo2
Beginner

Hello,

I've recently upgrading my internet connection to 500 Mbps fibre however I've only been able to reach speeds of <250 Mbps on my laptop which is equipped with the Dual-band AC-8265, on AC mode, 80Mhz channel width, 5Ghz band, 99% signal strength, I understand that it could reach a theoretical maximum of 800+Mbps however as I mentioned I'm nowhere near that. I've attached a copy of the SSU text, in which it states the following:

Product Type:"Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265"

Profile:""

Radio Type:"802.11ac"

Receive Rate:"866.7 Mbps"

Service Name:"Netwtw06"

Signal Strength:"99%"

State:"connected"

Team Name:"Not in a team"

Temperature:

Transmit Rate:"866.7 Mbps"

Now I suppose this less than scientific or real world speed testing means little to nothing but when my iPhone 6S Plus is consistently running well above 200 Mbps and as you can see in the attached capture (IMG_0757) hits speeds of over 400 Mbps while the laptop rarely sees speeds of 200 Mbps as you can see in the other attached capture (6754205111) this if nothing else suggests that something is configured incorrectly with the Intel driver, as I'm running the speedtests against the same server, same wifi, same internet connection just moments apart...

now I've made some changes in the advanced driver settings however nothing seems to have any meaningful impact, I'm hoping that someone can offer some insight or suggestion that would help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Agent-K,

Thank you for joining the Intel® Community.

I am moving your thread to the Wireless Networking Community.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Agent-K,

We understand your situation regarding the low speed with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265.

Based on the SSU logs, it seems that all settings are properly set up in order to get the maximum speed you can reach, it means that the connection between the router and the adapter is the best possible(866.7Mbps in your case).

Based on that, we advise you to try with the latest OEM driver suggested by the manufacturer.

Please follow the next steps:

1.Get the latest system-specific driver from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html your computer manufacturer support.

2. Uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software.a. Open Programs and Features (Uninstall a program) from the Control Panel.

b. Select Uninstall or Change and then Remove.

c. When prompted, choose to discard settings.

3. Uninstall your wireless driver. Windows* with an inbox driver may natively support some wireless adapters. You cannot uninstall an inbox driver. Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it's uninstalled.

a. Go to Device Manager.

b. Expand the Network Adapters category.

c. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

d. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

4. Clear out your temporary files.

a. Press the Windows* key and R key simultaneously to open the run box.

b. Type in: cleanmgr.exe and press the Enter key or OK.

c. Place a checkmark next to Temporary Files. You can leave everything else checked or unchecked.

d. Press OK and wait.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator and follow the wizard to completion.

7. (Optional Step) Apply the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Recommended Settings for Wireless Connectivity.

In case the situation persists, we suggest you check the Quality of Service settings in your Router.

Please let us know if that works.

Regards,

Junior M.

KCheo2
Beginner

Hi Junior, so following your suggestions was an improvement for sure, now to push it into the 400Mbps realm... Unfortunately there isn't any option to adjust QoS settings as you've suggested with this ISP provided router, now when I think about that suggestion further I can't ignore the fact that my iPhone 6S Plus with arguably an inferior wireless NIC and absolutely no configuration settings at all is consistently hitting 400+Mbps without making any changes to the router... I would think that the fact we do have the ability to make changes in the 8265 driver settings that it would most certainly be more likely to achieve if nothing else the same as my non-configurable iPhone...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Agent-K,

Based on the SSU logs, the connection between your router and the adapter is proper for the AC protocol( 866.7Mbps).

This could be related to Windows* updates, applications running in the background, cloud services.

Could you please try to access your computer in safe mode and let us know if you have the same results.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode Start your PC in safe mode in Windows(R) 10 -support.microsoft.com

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
KCheo2
Beginner

Hi Junior,

So we are in and around the same results, I guess this is the best it will be...

Linux

Windows (not safe mode, Windows could not initialize the adapter in safe mode)

iPhone X

Thanks any way.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Agent-K,

Thanks for the update.

It may improve with the time since this could be caused by Windows* updates been downloaded in the background. You may need to engage with thehttps://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html computer manufacturer in case if your issue remains.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos