Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Intel Euclid Developer Kit wifi hotspot not showing up, restore initial configuration

SCoop2
Beginner

I have just started using the intel euclid developer kit, and up till yesterday I was able to connect to the wifi hotspot EUCLID_F5E3. I may have done some changes to the wifi configuration of the intel euclid (though I am not completely sure) and so I would like to know if it's possible to restore the initial configuration of the intel, or how I could see the hotspot in some way...The green light does turn on and I can hear the sound after about 30 seconds.

Thanks in advance!

Sara
0 Kudos
15 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you are able to connect to the Euclid's web interface then you can go to the 'Power' option tab and select from it the OOBE option to reset the configuration of the Euclid to factory-new state. OOBE stands for Out Of Box Experience (i.e the state of the product when first bought and removed from the packaging).

0 Kudos
SCoop2
Beginner

Hello! Sorry I think I may not have explained properly. I was able to access the wifi hotspot until yesterday, but I can no longer, so I can't connect to the intel via wifi, and therefore can't access the web interface because of it.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

An alternate way to restore the Euclid to factory condition is to install a backup image on it that restores it to as-new condition. The 2 gb file can be downloaded from the page linked to below.

0 Kudos
SCoop2
Beginner

I have installed it, and I get an .iso package with a lot of subfolders...How should I procede with the installation and restoring the euclid's initial condition, if I can't connect to it?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The process of using the iso is described in this post.

0 Kudos
SCoop2
Beginner

Thanks! I have successfully transfered Ubuntu to the USB stick, and then inserted it into the Intel Euclid. However, how can I select BIOS? Do I need to restart my computer? Or must I necessarily connect the Intel Euclid via HDMI to a screen?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

On the Euclid, you should be able to enter its BIOS by pressing the F5 key on your keyboard when boot-up begins.

0 Kudos
SCoop2
Beginner

Sorry for bothering again...

I can't been to manage to do it, because the intel euclid has only one USB port, and therefore can't insert the keyboard and the USB drive at the same time.... I also don't have access to a HDMI cable right now. Is there any other possible solution?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I found a similar past case of a Euclid user who was not able to access their wi-fi hotspot. They were given this advice:

- Open terminal and edit the file /intel/euclid/config/settings.ini

- Edit the ROS_MASTER_URI, and change it to http://localhost:11311

- Restart the service again (or Euclid)

0 Kudos
SCoop2
Beginner

Hey again!

The problem is that in order to use that command I still need to access the euclid's terminal, and I have no connection whatsoever to it due to not having connected to wifi. Perhaps I ruined my intel euclid and nothing can be done now...
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The Euclid's manual suggests that if users want to use it locally like a PC is used, with keyboard and mouse, they connect a USB hub to it to add more ports, and then attach the keyboard and mouse to the hub. Then a display would be attached via the HDMI port. The Euclid is, after all, basically an Ubuntu PC in a small case with a camera built into it.

0 Kudos
SCoop2
Beginner

Hello again!!

I have managed to see the Intel Euclid on a screen, after connecting it via HDMI, and also added a keyboard and mouse. I have also connected the USB drive with the image drive. However, I can't access my BIOS when booting (I've pressed F5, F12...). It's a DELL computer, by the way. Is there any other way to boot it?
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Have you connected the USB keyboard to the Euclid? Otherwise if it was connected to the Dell, then you would be trying to access the Dell's BIOS, not the Euclid's.

If you are short of USB ports on the Euclid and do not have a hub, you could try connecting only the keyboard to it and booting up and pressing F5 to enter the Euclid BIOS. You could then use keyboard controls to set the BIOS options instead of a mouse (e.g move through the options with the arrow keys).

When the BIOS change to boot from USB stick has been done, you could try shutting the Euclid down, unplugging the keyboard and putting the boot stick in, then turning the Euclid back on. When the Euclid has booted into Ubuntu, see if you can unplug the stick and put the keyboard back in to control the interface.

It's a bit of a juggle with these different devices, so you can see why they recommend using a USB hub with Euclid in the diagram!

0 Kudos
SCoop2
Beginner

Hey again!! I'm still struggling to solve the problem...I have managed to reset the Ubuntu using the USB finally, but I was given several options: erase the 16.04 ubuntu and reinstall, install 16.04.3 along with the 16.04; or erase and install 16.04. I chose the first option but I still have no wifi and I can't even see the Intel folders that I could see before. Did I completely messed up my Euclid? Should I have chosen another option?

Regards.

Sara

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I would have chosen the first option myself too if I was doing a clean wipe-and-reinstall, to make sure that there was no files from the old installation left behind that might interfere with the new installation.

Can I just confirm please that you installed the 2 gb Euclid iso file using the stick? The iso doesn't just contain Ubuntu but all the other Euclid files too. So if you only installed Ubuntu on its own then that would likely mess up the Euclid. Not permanently, but you would have to wipe the Euclid and reinstall the complete Euclid 2 gb iso file to restore it to as-new condition.

0 Kudos