Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

U.2 SSD will not go to RAID0 on ASUS MB X99-Delux II

idata
Employee

It's been over a month now and ASUS just does not seem to know what to do. Can anyone help me with this? I have X2 of the 750 Series 800GB U.2 SSD drives and my MB just will not see them in Rapid Storage Tech, it tellms no drives available.

This is how it sits right now, what am I missing?

1) System shut down, power unplugged, and CMOD cleared (using the "red" button on the board).

2) Removed video card from PCIe_3, using PCIe_1 only.

3) Turned on system and entered F1.

4) Went to "Advanced" / "Onboard Devices Config." / "U2.2_2 Bandwith" and selected U.2_2:, "PCIEX16_5 auto selected X4.

5) Went to :"SATA Config." and set to "RAID" for the "SATA Controller 1" mode selection.

6) Saved settings and re-booted.

7) Entered BIOS to "UEFI BIOS Utility - EZ Mode".

8) Found IRST in "ON" position.

9) Results= The "Boot Priority" shows only one of the two drives.

10) The "Boot Menu (F8)" shows both drives.

11) Entered "F11" in the EZ Tuning Wizard, selected RAID, got message "No available disk drives".

12 And that is were I stand now., Still does not read any drives.

13) There is no IRST selection in "any" Advanced Mode categories.

14) "CNRL - I" or "CTRL - O" does not work on reboot, so it gives me no IRST access.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Denny122,

We understand you would like to use RAID 0 with two Intel® SSD 750 series 2.5" U.2.

Checking on your motherboard's specs, we can notice that it seems there is a limitation on having RAID 0 as a boot using the U.2 slots.

Reading about this, in this https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/594048-new-asus-x99-mbs-bootable-u2-or-m2-raid/ link, the X99 motherboards does not support hardware RAID, only software, but this will not allow you to use it as a bootable setup.

Also, checking the specs of your motherboard, it looks Asus* should let you know that the RAID configuration is only supported through the SATA ports, https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-DELUXE-II/specifications/ on this link under storage you will see it.

We normally suggest to contact the motherboard's manufacturer for this kind of situations, but as you already stated, it's been a month with no resolution; however, we recommend you to please ask them if this is the reason why you are unable to see the NVMe drives when the system is setup as RAID.

You can maybe try to set the system's BIOS in AHCI mode and verify if the drives are present.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Denny122,

We are following up this thread and we would like to know if you require further assistance? We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello. Nice of you to contact me. I think I understand the problem now and it's thanks to you people. I now have an understanding about how this type system works (using NVWe), No hard RAID0 possible from hardware / drivers from the MB / BIOS, and will only soft RAID0 from an installed version of an OS system (like Win10)but you have to boot from that drive only to do this. Also, if you set up two SATA SSD or HDD drives in hardware RAID0, Windows will not allow you to soft RAID these drives, cancels it out some how. It would have been helpful for some kind of comment like that was included in the manuals. Thanks again for your help though.

DKB

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Denny122,

We are glad that our information helped you understand the situation and, as you said, it would have been helpful to read something about this in the manual.

Hope you have a nice week.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos