Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

i7 4790 overheating

SBenn1
Beginner

Hello, recently I have purchased a new liquid cooler, an H80i v2, installed correctly with new thermal paste and everything, and everything seemed to be running just fine until I downloaded Corsair Link and decided to test the core temperatures when running under heavy stress, such as a game at max settings. I found that when playing GTA V maxed out, 1920x1080 and hovering around 60fps, the temperatures tend to reach past 90 degrees Celsius. They mainly stay between 80-85. I've messed around in the fan settings and seem to have configured it to use its maximum power, however the temperatures still seem to be the same. I have had one crash while trying, I was running Battlefront at max settings and my computer hard-crashed and everything froze, I had to manually restart. My setup is:

i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz

Geforce GTX 1070

850 Watt Power Supply

H80i v2 Liquid Cooler

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Maximus VII Hero Motherboard

I have attached a screenshot of Corsair Link while playing GTA V at max settings, this is around 5-8 degrees lower than during gameplay, it just lowered when I tabbed out to take the screenshot.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello sbennett619,

I will be more than glad to assist you with your matter.

Before I can provide you further information, could you please run our diagnostic tool.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Once that you reply with the results, I will continue with the investigation.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello sbennett619,

I would like to confirm if you were able to get the results with our diagnostic tool. If you have been unable to run it yet, you can go to the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Once that you reply with the results, I will continue with the investigation.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Angie
0 Kudos