Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Can't change screen resolution with HD4000 in Windows 7

SThom13
Beginner

I've recently bought a second-hand Thinkpad Carbon X1 and found I can't change the screen resolution from 1600x900. If I try doing this through the Intel HD graphics control panel, then I can access a drop-down list and pick one, but it flicks back to 1600x900 immediately after. If I try doing this through the Screen Resolution of the Windows Control panel, the drop-down slider appears and then flicks away again, too quickly to be used. Also, all the time while the graphics control panel is open, the cursor keeps showing as busy for a fraction of a second, at a rate of maybe once or twice a second, even when nothing's going on.

It's a new install of Windows 7 64-bit, Intel HD4000 graphics, driver version 9.18.10.3359 (which I just updated because it was doing exactly the same thing before, including the busy cursor, with version 5.something) and the display is set as ThinkPad MaxBright Display 1600x900. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
JLind11
Beginner

Hi Allan,

I'm facing the same problem on my new laptop (Thinkpad Carbon X1 with Windows 7 64-bit). I have made a factory reset and no applications installed. I have tried to install the latest driver from Intel but the setup fails with an messages sying that the driver is not from the computers manufacturer. So I had to download the latest driver from Lenovo which is 9.18.10.3359, but I'm still facing the same problem after installing that one.

We bought three identical computers of the model above but mine is the only one facing this problem.

I have compared my computer with the other two and noticed the following:

- My CPU is always 20% or above and the fan is quiet noisy compared to the other tow computers which uses about 1-5% CPU.

- In "Windows Experience Index" my Graphics index is only 5,5 and the other two computers has 6,5.

- The application "Intel Management and Security status" won't open, hangs everytime i rightclick the icon in the system tray. The other two computer can access the program.

Can there be an issue with my Intel HD Graphics 4000 Hardware?

Regards

Jon

0 Kudos
SThom13
Beginner

Hi Allan,

I'm trying to download the driver but I just get the message 'no data received' on both the zip and the exe links. Is there anywhere else I can download this from?

0 Kudos
SThom13
Beginner

Ah, right, hang on, I managed to get it downloaded, but then got the same message as jonlindh above - it says the driver is not from the computer's manufacturer and it won't install it. How can I get an up-to-date driver?

0 Kudos
JLind11
Beginner

Shermarama,

are you also facing the other "problems" i have? High CPU-usage, noisy fan and that "Intel Management and Security status" won't open, hangs everytime i rightclick the icon in the system tray...

Found this thread on Lenovo as well:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/LENOVO-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-3460-CLG/m-p/1536090 Re: LENOVO ThinkPad X1 Carbon 3460-CLG - Lenovo Community

/J

0 Kudos
SThom13
Beginner

I don't have a problem with high CPU use, although I did whenever I had the graphics properties open and before I'd got as far as 9.18.10.3359 with the driver. It still behaves strangely when the graphics options are open, the cursor flicking to busy about once a second, but it doesn't use a lot of CPU to do it any more.

Thanks for the Lenovo link - maybe trying both places at once will get us somewhere!

0 Kudos