Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

D54250WYKH and Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235

idata
Employee

I've recently built the NUC (5420WYKH) and used all components that are on the tested list. I installed Win 8 64-bit and upgraded to Win 8.1 64 bit. I am having problems with the wireless card. The connection drops, always the same way, first it shows limited connection, then the machine can't find any networks. I have installed the latest driver from Intel (also tried the Windows built in driver), and control panel shows 'this device is working properly' even when it isn't working at all! Sometimes it shows no driver installed once the fault condition occurs. I have unchecked the boxes to allow the pc to switch off the card to save power (and in Bluetooth too) and disabled Wireless N.

Any suggestions? Is it likely to be a faulty card? The card is mounted (with its fixing screw) under the mSATA drive.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
WCree
Beginner

I have a D54250WYK and a Centrino 6235 with exactly the same issue. Using Windows 8.1 64. I have tried to update drivers as well as OS with no luck. After the troubleshooter resets the adapter the problem is fixed, but after 10-20 minutes it reoccurs. I have reset the power management so it does not turn off the adapter, but no effect.

Any ideas? Thanks

0 Kudos
PH3
Beginner

You can try the steps suggested in these links:

http://optimizewindows8.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/how-to-fix-limited-wi-fi-connectivity-issue-in-windows-8-1/ How to Fix Limited Wi-Fi Connectivity Issue in Windows 8.1 | Optimize Windows 8

http://fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/10/how-to-fix-limited-or-no-connectivity-wi-fi-issues-in-windows-8/# .U0MxfVead-g How to fix limited or no connectivity Wi-Fi issues in Windows 8 &# 124; fixedByVonnie

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Pablo,

thanks for your suggestions, but I think there's a more fundamental problem, pointed to in this thread:

0 Kudos
BWIn
Beginner

Many of us have the same problem with connection dropping. I've got another 6235 card but the problem persists. I have all the latest drivers on my Intel NUC i5 unit with Windows 8.1.

Intel have updated the drivers many times without any change on the connection problem. There must be a fundamental flaw with this WLAN card. When I connect with a USB Asus N53 WLAN card it works with no connection problems what so ever. I have six computers with WLAN cards. Only the Intel Centrino 6235 has connection issues. During these couple of week I think Intel has released about four new versions of drivers to the 6235 WLAN card without any success. It seems the don't really know what the problems are...

Just google for "intel centrino 6235 connection problem" and you will get a lot of users with problems. Intel seems to be unable to solve this problem or they just don't care. I bought my Intel NUC i5 just a couple of week ago but i think I will return it and get my money back. And I thought Intel was a quality supplier...

0 Kudos
JASON_H_Intel2
Employee

SNICKIE,

Did your NUC come with the 6235 card or was it purchased separately? Since the problem is with the wifi card and not the NUC you could return the wifi card and get one that's known to be more stable like the 7260 card. I haven't shopped for one in a while but they're pretty inexpensive.

Jason

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

In wireless networking there might be different causes for drop connection issues besides the driver:

• Interference: possible sources can include cordless phones, microwave ovens, and other 802.11 Wi-Fi networks. Check that the channel your access point or wireless router is using, is not overlapping or in use by another nearby access point. Software tools such as inSSIDer* can be useful to help select the best channel for your access point or wireless router. If using 2.4 GHz band, use only channels 1, 6 or 11. You may also use the 5GHz band if the router is dual band capable.
  • Firmware: the firmware of the router if outdated may cause unexpected behavior with newer devices. This may occur with certain router models only.
  • Conflicting software: Antivirus or firewall software may interfere.
  • WiFi security (authentication) settings: Choose a good security type and verify the settings in the router and the client's wireless profile match; avoid mixed settings (TKIP+AES) whenever possible. For troubleshooting purposes you may test with the connection as unsecured and check if the issues still occurs.
  • Hardware integration: the wireless adapter or antennas could be defective or not properly installed. The wireless adapter is sporadically not being detected by the system (in BIOS or operating system). You would suffer from connection drops all the time and every network.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/CS-028449.htm Wireless Networking ; How do I improve my 802.11n wireless performance?

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031509.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Possible interference by other wireless devices may impact 802.11n performance

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006321.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Access Point (AP) firmware updates may resolve wireless network issues

I suggest you checking all possible troubleshooting steps at your disposal; we are investigating the issues that are not solved with latest driver. Please verify if you get events with the IDs 5007 and 5055in the Windows* Event Viewer (Control Panel, Administrative Tools) at the time the issue occurs. Kindly share the details from those events if available. Information such as operating system, AP brand and model, firmware version and authentication method is also valuable.

0 Kudos
MRenn3
Novice

I get exactly this issue as well.. it used to be in both 2.4 and 5GHz bands, but now only in the 5GHz after I disabled "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in power management on the adapter properties..

0 Kudos
BWIn
Beginner

@joe_intel: You say: interference: I have a Intel 4965AGN Centrino in my laptop that works with absolutely no problems for over three years now. I have also wireless connection in my Samsung TV and Samsung Blue-ray, They also work without any problem. I have a raspberry pi with a wireless USB dongle, it works also without any problem. Only the Intel 6235 WLAN card has connection problems. I have also tested with two routers. Only the Intel 6235 card has connection problems with both routers (D-link DIR-825 and Asus N66U). All other WLAN cards work perfectly well.

All WLAN cards has TKIP and AES security.

About hardware antennas: The Intel NUC has built-in antennas. When the card works it has always the best signal strength so the problem is NOT the antennas. The drivers are the latest available from the Intel site as of today, April 15 2014.

Conclusion: Only the Intel 6235 WLAN card has connection problems in my newly bought Intel NUC D54250WYKH system.

You can't get away with this: The card has either a serious design fault or is not compatible with the Intel NUC system!?

There are too many people having issues with the 6235 card. It's time to find a solution and stop putting hour heads in the sand.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well I have apparently solved the problem. i have now had unproblematic wireless connection for nearly 24 hrs. I swapped the n6235 for an AC 7260.

A simple soul might argue that, despite all the fiddling about with driver settings, turning this off, limiting that, there seems to be a fundamental problem in the interface between the n6235 and a Windows system.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The above are general guidelines and may not be the cause of the issue in all scenarios but I thought it was worth checking. Additional information, such as the existence of the Event IDs, can help us further.

If the issue persists in spite of troubleshooting you may contact your nearest http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel support team for further assistance.

0 Kudos
LHill_Intel

Hi all,

For anyone who is experiencing wireless connection problems when using either the 6235 or 7260 WiFi adapter on either the D34010WYK for D54250WYK NUCs, please send me a private message. I have a test BIOS that allows you to turn off ASPM - we have successfully tested this is our lab for nearly a week with no LAN drop and no errors in the Event Viewer.

We'd like to get confirmation from other NUC users before we roll it into a production BIOS version for all NUCs.

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

0 Kudos
MHopk1
Beginner

Dear Lois,

My system is working fine now after applying the Beta BIOS AND then uninstalling the 6235 Network card in Win 8.1 device manager and resetting the computer to re-install.

Mark

0 Kudos
MSlob1
Beginner

Hi Lois,

I have the same issues with Advanced-N 6235 and D34010WYK.

Can you please send me beta BIOS to try if it fix the problem ?

Thanks,

Michael.

0 Kudos
MSlob1
Beginner

After googling a few more, I have found this post: /thread/47054?start=15&tstart=0 https://communities.intel.com/thread/47054?start=15&tstart=0 with link to beta BIOS.

So, I have flashed it - let's wait and see if it solves the issue.

0 Kudos
MSlob1
Beginner

Small update - almost 24hours - no connection drops - so this switch in BIOS do helps...

0 Kudos
MHuan43
Beginner

I had the same problem of AN-6235 with my new D54250WYKH. Followed this thread by installing the updated BIOS version WYLPT10H.86A.0026 from the download center and disabled ASPM (not knowing why). The system has been running more than 5 hours with dropping the wireless signal. It's an improvement so far.

0 Kudos
MHuan43
Beginner

Correction: without dropping the wireless signal ;-)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hi hill, i've the same problem with this 2 devices... Can you please send me BIOS to try if it fix the problem?

0 Kudos
LHill_Intel

Hello sam90ita,

The fix for the wireless problem that was in that beta BIOS back in April was rolled into the production BIOS version 0026. You can actually just update your system to the latest BIOS and get the fix. It's available here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24536&lang=eng&ProdId=3744 Intel® Download Center

Regards,

Lois

Intel

0 Kudos
MHopk1
Beginner

I have exactly the same problems with a new D54250WYK, for which (unfortunately) I bought a 6235 WiFi adapter. I should have searched the internet first- problem after problem. I have tried all the solutions offered and certainly disabling power management and some of the other suggestions help; but they don't really get to the heart of the problem. Besides what's the point of an 'advanced' adaptor if you have to have to disable all the features? Anyway, perhaps the BIOS upgrade is a way forward. Would be interested to try this.

Mark

0 Kudos