Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20635 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics - 4:3 Resolutions have Black Bars after Windows 10 Upgrade

SShah24
Beginner

4:3 Resolutions in games appear with black bars surrounding them.

I upgraded to Windows 10 about 6 months ago and I saw that in games I used 4:3 resolutions for (800x600) I saw that I was getting black bars on the sides of my screen. I uninstalled Windows 10 to my previous Windows 7 and it was fine again.

However, yesterday I upgraded to Windows 10 again and I thought that the problem may have been fixed. I load up CS:GO which is using 4:3 and 800x600 and I still see this 1" thick black bar on the left and right of the program when in full screen. I saw on another post that Ctrl + Alt + F11 fixes it but it also sets my Windows resolution to the same as my in-game one and when I close the game, I have to manually change the resolution back to my native (1366x768).

I saw a post about some other people having this problem but they had an updated Intel HD Graphics and in their control panel, they had an option to Override Application Settings. However, I do not have any option saying this in my Control Panel for Intel HD Graphics.

I would really appreciate any help. I have 30 days to make up my mind about Windows 10 before going back to Windows 7 if I have to. I just prefer Windows 10 aesthetically and because of faster shutdown and loading times.

My Specs are below:

HP Pavilion G6 1373-SA

Intel Pentium Dual Core B960 @2.2Ghz

Intel HD Graphics (This is literally all it says but I did a quick Google and apparently it is based on the Intel HD Graphics 2000)

6GB RAM

650GB HDD

Windows 10 Home

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, ShahriarM:

Please make sure you have installed all windows updates in your system, this where the graphics drivers are going to be updated for this system.

Have you tested the in game options with different resolutions to see the behavior of your system.

Have you tested the different scaling setting in the Intel® HD Graphics control panel?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
SShah24
Beginner

This is what my Control Panel for Intel HD Graphics looks like. The only option for scaling is that and I get Black Bars only with 4:3 resolutions. I tried a 16:9 resolution (1280 x 600) and it had black bars on the top and bottom.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your answer ShahriarM, let me perform some tests on my end and to try to replicate this and I will let you know my outcome and possible fix for it.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
SShah24
Beginner

Ok thank you, will wait until then.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your answer ShahriarM, I will keep you updated on this.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
SShah24
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, ShahriarM:

Have you tested the steps under "Why can I see the center of the Windows* desktop, but not the top, bottom, and sides?"

Here: http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005502.html http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005502.html

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
SShah24
Beginner

There is no option for me to select the Television option as I am using a Laptop and using the in-built display.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am sorry to hear that ShahriarM, this is related to Windows 10* not being supported on the platform used (Sandy Bridge) officially by Intel.

Many of the features on Windows 10 will not perform well on PCs that are 4 years-old and older (2nd gen Intel Core systems as well as Intel® Pentium® Processors, codename "Sandy Bridge"), and other features/settings will not be available at all, which means consumers running Windows 10 on a 4+ year old PC will be missing out on new exciting experiences and performance as in a supported OS (Windows 7*).

Upgrading to a newer PC available at the time of upgrading to Windows 10 will ensure access to key Windows 10 features, along with improved performance and battery life in most cases.

Hope you can have a better overview/understanding of this scenario related to compatibility, support, the platform used, and the OS used with the information provided above.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos