Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

A physical WiFi adapter is not installed

TRafa
Novice

I have a MSI GP60 2PE Leopard, Windows 8.1, the wireless adapter that should be installed is Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3160.

A problem started here, in a first moment I wasn't able to find any WiFi networks and I couldn't find the wireless adapter under Network Adapters in Device Manager. So I tried to upgrade and install it from the link on Intel website (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75442/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3160 Drivers & Software). However after I did this a new message shows up: A physical WiFi adapter is not installed.

What should I do?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

tlandim,

Before we go any further could you be so kind and let us know whether the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 is the one installed by factory or was the original one replaced by this one?

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
TRafa
Novice

The Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 is the original one, it wasn't replaced.

Best regards,

Tiago.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

tlandim,

In this case, Intel recommends to obtain the latest drivers from the computer manufacturer first. If after trying the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html computer manufacturer drivers you notice the issue still persists, you are welcome to to try our generic drivers as a second option. You can do this through a clean installation. Here is how you can do it.

1. Download and save the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26150/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-?product=75442 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software Package version: 19.0.1 - the driver version for this adapter that will be installed is the 18.33.3.2 -* Please, make sure to install the version according to your OS version and architecture 32 or 64 Bit.

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver component

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
TRafa
Novice

I tried your steps but the same error persists.

This is what I get:

The manufacturer said I should try system restore.

Best regards,

Tiago.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

tlandim,

Please, do as instructed by the manufacturer and let us know if you need any assistance from us. Remember to make sure you have a backup of all your relevant information to avoid data loss.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

tlandim,

We haven't heard from you in a while so we would like to know if the recommendation provided by the computer manufacturer helped you to resolve this situation.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos