Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

Problem with Z3735F and scaling

JHort1
Beginner

I have a mini PC with a Z3735F and W10 connected to a monitor. While you are at the native resolution 1080p, there's no problems, but when you launch some apps or games that works on another resolution, the image centers in the middle of the screen in a small square.

There's an option in the Intel control panel to maintain scale of the screen that makes the image stretch on the screen, but only can access to it while you are at the desktop. The problem is that every time the resolution changes, the option of maintain screen scale, reset automatically to center image, so there's no way while you are in some app or game to change it to mantain screen scale to make the image stretch to all the screen.

It's a very annoying problem, I see some other threads where some people have the same problem but with other CPUs, with some of them, the problem was resolved, but with Baytrail the problem is still there.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Alaris:

Could you please let me know the driver version you are running? Please go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.

What is the name of the apps and games that you are running?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JHort1
Beginner

I think the driver is the last avalaible for my device: 10.18.10.4425. I use the Intel driver update utility.

The games I run are mostly retro games (before 2005) and some indie games that runs on non-powerfull machines. With some of them I've found a workaround with a force windowed mode app that makes the trick but with the others there's no way.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You do have the latest driver installed, 4425 version is the latest available from our site.

Could you please let me know the name of those specific games and apps? I believe that the issue seems to be related to the game itself, it is possible that the fact they are "retro" can be causing an incompatibility issue with Windows® 10.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JHort1
Beginner

No, this isn't a specific problem of those games, it happens with all games that you set a resolution under 1080p, that is the native resolution of my monitor. I've tried those games on my another PC, that has a Nvidia card, and they are rescaled perfectly stretching all the screen.

I think this is a problem of the drivers or something, as I said, in the drivers control panel there's an option called maintain display scale or something like this, that makes the image stretch to all the screen when the resolution is under 1080p, but you can only access to this option from the desktop, and for some reason, it resets to center image every time the resolution changes, so when you are in a game there's no way to use it.

I think this option shouldn't reset to center image every time, like it happens on my other PC, with this, the problem would be resolved, but for some reason I can't understand, the option resets every time, so the image doesn't stretch.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you tried installing the driver provided by your computer manufacturer? Is there any chance you can give it a try? Since you already tried with the latest driver from our end the next step should be installing that driver.

Your processor is a Intel® Atom™ Processor Z3735F which is a processor intended for smartphones and tablets, there is a big chance that some features in the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel are limited due to that fact. For this type of processors the best support should be provided by the computer manufacturer.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JHort1
Beginner

I have a Minix Z64 and there's no drivers provided by the manufacturer except for the ones that came installed when I bought it, and with that ones it was the same or worst.

As I said in the first post, the problem is affecting more people with other PCs and configurations, not only me, you only have to search other threads in this forum. For instance:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I understand, but bear in mind that the thread you provided is in regard to desktop and mobile solutions not for smartphones and tablets.

I have been checking http://www.minixforum.com/ MINIX Forum - Official site and I found the following input;

"Hi there. I had the same problem, but found a setting on the Minix box.

Settings- HDMI - overscan compensation.

Pick horizontal or vertical and adjust with +or -.

Just noticed this is the windows version. Mine is the Android version, so I'm not sure if you have the same settings on your box"

Please try that and let me know if that helps.

See here for the thread http://www.minixforum.com/threads/screen-resolution-scale-screen-resolution.4569/ Screen resolution - scale screen resolution | MINIX Forum - Official maybe there is something here that might help you.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JHort1
Beginner

I don't have an smartphone or tablet, I have a desktop PC, a mini PC. I understand that Z3735F was designed for tablets, but there's a plenty of devices with this chip.

This solution of the Minix forum is for android version of Z64.

As I said before this is not a problem of the device, the problem is on the drivers, and there's a lot of people with the same problem and other CPUs, for some of them the problem was resolved with new drivers, but for Baytrail and Cherrytrail users the new drivers that fix it have to come, as it explains this post:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

From that thread I quote the following from one of our graphics engineers; "That said, for those using Baytrail and Braswell aka ValleyView and CherryTrail platforms on Win7, 8.1, or 10, I wasn't aware there was an issue until recently so the fix is not available yet, though I'm inputting the request and escalating it. More details to come inside those respective threads." Post # 104.

This is still under investigation and for further reference visit https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software for future driver releases. However, I cannot confirm if this future fix will help to address your issue and this is because for this type of processors(Intel® Atom™ Processor for Smartphone and Tablet) the best support should be provided by the computer manufacturer.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JHort1
Beginner

I've found another thread with someone that have the same issue:

Yes, I understand that this CPU is intended for smartphones and tablets, but there's plenty of mini-pcs built with, and by that, lots of people with the same issue.

This is a problem of drivers and Intel have to test it and make the proper fix. It's a simple issue and they resolved it with another processors.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi Alaris,

I hear your concerns and understand your frustration. There's a lot of information within that /message/403515# 403515 thread and the details could be lost so please allow me to help recap and then address your issue.

We found this issue with Scaling on multiple devices and in our investigation we uncovered two root causes. One being our own that involved apps which we resolved and another involving games due to OS which we eventually created a work-around (WA) for. Both of these, the fix and the WA were designed and implemented for 4th - 6th Generation Core products and there was no previous reports or consideration for Baytrail or Braswell products until the other fixes were already provided.

That said, I have already brought this to our engineering department and we're further analyzing feasibility assessments. The side of the issue that required the WA was not an easy fix to begin with, and that paired with a current driver limitation for your products regarding the scalar, this is no small task.I'm setting expectations with you to know just the feasibility assessment will take substantial time. The fix may take even longer. I'll know more as details are made available to me.

To centralize updates for all, I've chosen the below thread to provide updates. Please follow that thread and stay tuned. I really appreciate your support in making our products better.

0 Kudos