Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

LGA 1150 Socket Pins Bent, Need Input.

CWill13
Beginner

Hello, 2 of the pins on my motherboard are bent, I can boot-up the system fine but I am curious as to what those pins do and whether I should leave them as they are or attempt to straighten them. Could someone please provide (Z97) Socket 1150 Motherboard/Processor Pin Diagram so I can have a look and decide what to do next? Thanks! I am using core i7 4790K CPU.

Edit: Alright Guys I found the data spec-sheet on intel's website and after carefully analyzing I figured out the broken pins function:

1) E8 - VSS (Ground Node)

2) K8 - RSVD_TP (Reserved Test Point)

The second pin is shorting another pin:

K9 - FC_K9 (Future Compatibility)

Now I would like to ask should I attempt repairing this with a needle? Or just let it be the way it is? The computer seems to work just fine but I'd like some input from an experienced personnel so that I can have some merit behind either choice.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Symbfrk:

If your motherboard works with those bent pins I would leave them as they are, working with bent pins can lead to unknown issues and if you try to put them back you might end up damaging the socket, so my recommendation is let them be.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
CWill13
Beginner

Hello Amy, thanks for your response, could you please provide some details regarding the function of RSVD_TP pin?

I believe you are one of the representatives at Intel, so it should be fairly easy for you to gather any information from the appropriate department.

Really looking forward to your response.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The information available from our end in regard to this pin can be found here; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html Desktop 4th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors Datasheet, Vol. 1

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
CWill13
Beginner

Well, If you had read the OP carefully, I clearly mentioned that I already checked the spec sheet of Intel to determine the names and (vaguely) mentioned functions of the pins in question. I asked you because I wanted an end-user friendly description of those functions and wanted to know whether they are crucial or not. Anyway I realigned the pins thanks to Reddit an YouTube. For anyone having the same issue, here is the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/4vlwfo/lga_1150_socket_pins_bent_need_some_help/ LGA 1150 Socket Pins Bent, Need some help : buildapc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I understand, but that is information available from our channel. However, I can try requesting more information in regard to this pin, let me review this and I will be updating the thread.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/104916 Symbfrk, thank you for your patience.

So, this information I gathered; This pin is reserved for test point and look at the signal of this pin, SVD_TP – these signals should be routed to a test point Unused outputs maybe left unconnected; however, this may interfere with some Test Access Port (TAP) functions, complicate debug probing, and prevent boundary scan testing. We recommends that all RSVD_TP signals have via test points.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos