Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

Poor Quality Video Playback on Intel HD Graphics 4600

JJone21
Beginner

Using Windows 7 MediaCentre on a HP EliteDeck 800 D1 SFF with Intel HD Graphics 4600. HD video looks perfect, but SD (PAL) looks diabolical. Aliasing, chroma errors. Playing on a 4K display, but also tried reducing the display resolution in both Windows and the WMC application. Use the same cables to connect to a HP XW4600 with an nVidia graphics card and everything looks perfect again, so media, application, cables and display are ruled out. All coming back to the Intel HD Graphics as being the problem. Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MrJonesIII,

I understand that while playing a video in SD (PAL) the performance is reduced and it looks bad, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regarding this, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JJone21
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks so much for offering to have a look to see if you can work out why it looks so bad. The DxDiag file is attached.

Kind regards and thanks,

JJ

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MrJonesIII,

Thank you for your response,

I was reviewing the information that you sent with the DxDiag and I was able to see that you actually have an old graphics driver. As a troubleshooting step I would like to try to update it and attempt with the updated one.

Please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:

1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27441/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-?product=81496 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27441/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-?product=81496

2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

3. Click Start.

4. Right-click Computer and select Manage. When prompted for permission from User Account Control, click Yes.

5. Select Device Manager from the navigation tab on the left.

6. Double-click Display Adapters.

7. Right-click the Intel® Graphics Controller and click Update Driver Software.

8. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

9. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

10. Click "Have Disk".

11. Click "Browse".

12. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

13. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

14. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

15. Reboot your computer. And let me know if you have any issues during the installation.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JJone21
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks for the instructions. I was able to follow them and install the driver. It unfortunately has not improved the video quality of the SD DVB-T live playback or recordings, or any SD resolution playback. I've now reduced the video resolution to the non-recommended 1920x1080 resolution, thinking it might help make the rendering of the frames easier for the GPU, but it's made no difference.

HD playback misses frames too. It's not smooth at all, however, I don't see the same blockiness or colour space issues I see with the SD playback.

Again, thanks for your on-going attention with this issue. It's very much appreciated.

JJ

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MrJonesIII,

I can see that the driver update did not help you with the current problem.

I would like to know if you have checked for any available BIOS updates that could be pending for your system.

Also, it is recommendable to get in contact with HP or else check the website to make sure that so far all of the units are fully updated.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JJone21
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks again for replying and helping out. I can confirm to you that I cross-checked with HP and the BIOS is up to date.

JJ

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MrJonesIII,

I understand you have checked with HP about the BIOS. Up to this point everything from our side seems to be fine. I would strongly recommend to contact HP and then let them know about the problem to see if the issue could be caused due to any kind of hardware problem.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JJone21
Beginner

Ok, thanks again. If there's nothing more you can suggest then you may as well close my case.

Many thanks to you and the Intel team for offering to help me out. Very much appreciated!

jj

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MrJonesIII,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos