Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Explain a strange situation with screen color

WHoll1
Beginner

Using an Acer laptop with Win 10 64bit and latest creator's update

Processor is Intel i3 Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000

two user accounts.

one account has normal screen with colors

Second account is only monochrome since earlier today

I want to recover color

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I have already explained it to you here:

You are using a generic graphics driver from Microsoft. HD 3000 is not supported on WIndows 10.

Doc

0 Kudos
WHoll1
Beginner

Thank you, Doc,

As is evident, I am no expert.

It made sense to me that there must be some adjustment possible when color functions on one account but not another on the same computer.

Are you suggesting I need hardware installation to correct the problem?

billbrazil

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What Microsoft does with their generic driver is anyone's guess.

You may want to try the windows 10 driver here:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=intel+hd+3000+graphics+windows+10 Microsoft Update Catalog

Sort the list by "last updated", then select the appropriate driver (32-bit or 64-bit.

An alternative, if your machine is a desktop, and has an available PCIe x16 slot, is to find an add-on graphics card that is truly PCIe 2.0 backward compatible.

Many current cards will claim backward compatibility, but only a few really are.

This does not solve the larger problem. Your processor is also not supported.

To avoid continuing problems, the best path to satisfaction is to get a new or newer system, that is fully compatible with Windows 10.

Doc

0 Kudos
WHoll1
Beginner

I have found your opinion/suggestions to not be helpful.

Lacking any other solution to the loss of screen color on only one user account, I decided to effect a restoration of Win 10

Happily, my solution provided the necessary correction and all accounts have normal screen colors.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, here is a fact (not opinion or suggestion). Your processor and graphics are not supported on Windows 10.

I am glad you have it "working". But, this is a problem you will not escape.

Doc

0 Kudos