Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Dual boot from BIOS with Optane Memory

CSihm
Beginner

I have a new Asus Prime Z370-a with Intel i7-8700K CPU; Intel SSD6 (512Gb) and an Intel Optane Memory 32Gb. On my computer I also have an 1TB HDD .

My plan isto install my Work OS on the SSD6. My gaming OS should be on the HDD and pair this with the Optane Memory.

I found that I cannot do dual boot from Windows, but the big question is:

is i possible to chose which of the two systems to boot into from the BIOS (UEFI)?

Kind Regards 

Carsten Sihm

PS: What does "Optane" actually means?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello Carsten Sihm,

Thanks for posting in our communities.

Please bear in mind that Intel® Optane™ memory can only accelerate a single SATA boot drive containing Windows 10*. In this case, you'll have to install the OS on the HDD (a separate installation from your work OS).

Usually, when you have two or more boot devices, the system allows you to select which one to boot. You can prioritize one boot device over another on the boot options at the UEFI/BIOS, or access the boot menu to manually select the device (on your board, press F8 when the ASUS* logo shows up).

As for the product name (Intel® Optane™) this is just the commercial name for our current storage and memory solutions using https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-micron-3d-xpoint-webcast.html 3D XPoint™ technology.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos