Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool scanned with Virustotal (Trojan?)

Anonymous
Beginner

I recently scanned the Diagnostic Tool in the downloads for my i5-3550 processor ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=i5-3550 Search downloads ) with Virustotal, and the first time it showed up with 2 Trojan results. I scanned it again today and it showed up with one this time. Is the software infected or is there some reasoning that somebody could explain to me as to why it's showing up with these results? I know it could be due to accessing certain things within the system that may show up, when scanned, as a false positive. I just want to be sure before using it. (I scan basically everything before downloading it to my computer. I imagine Intel wouldn't be giving out infected software/programs, hopefully not anyway.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

It has been detected as a false positive by some virus checker and recorded as such at virustotal.

Ignore it, unless you got the IPDT at some site other than intel, which you should NEVER do.

Doc

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It has been detected as a false positive by some virus checker and recorded as such at virustotal.

Ignore it, unless you got the IPDT at some site other than intel, which you should NEVER do.

Doc

Anonymous
Beginner

Could you possibly help me with a few other questions regarding the IPDT? (If not that's totally okay.)

- I was wondering what this meant, because I don't understand it, maybe you could explain it better if you know?...

"It is essential that the motherboards BIOS is at the minimum BIOS revision specified to support your Intel® processor. Consult your motherboard manufacturer's support to ensure the BIOS revision is at the correct revision."

- Also, how can I find out if my motherboard is built using Intel Architecture? Does that mean an Intel motherboard?

Here's some info that may or may not help..

Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 (MS-7808) - 1.0

Chipset: Intel - Ivy Bridge - Rev. 09

Southbridge: Intel - P75/B75 - Rev. 04

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. - v1.7 - 09/30/2013

Intel Core i5-3550 @ 3.30GHz (Family 6) (Ext. Family 6) (Model A) (Ext. Model 3A) (Stepping 9) (Revision: E1/L1)

IGPU: Intel HD Graphics 2500 - Revision 9

C

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

We regularly see cases where a particular version of the BIOS is necessary before support is provided for a particular processor or family of processors. The best way to avoid this being a question is to ensure that you have the latest available BIOS for a motherboard installed.

In my mind, an "Intel motherboard" is a motherboard that is produced by Intel. No one else should be claiming that they make an Intel motherboard (unfortunately, they do). They should be claiming that they make a motherboard for Intel processors.

What you want to look for in a motherboard is that it has a socket for a particular family of Intel processors. You could also look for the motherboard having an Intel chipset.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Beginner

That was helpful, thank you.

C

0 Kudos