Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Inconsistent behavior on displays

BJohn20
Beginner

I am really, really frustrated here.

I have a laptop on Windows 10 with Intel HD Graphics 405, and the latest driver according to the tool (20.19.15.4835)

Why is there absolutely no consistency in how the display driver is handling output to HDMI?

My laptop screen's resolution is 1280x720. No problem. If I set a game to 1280x720, no problem. Works in full screen without issue.

Now I connect it to an external monitor. Clone the display to both. It outputs to my external monitor at 1280x720. It outputs to my laptop screen at 1280x720. Absolutely no problem. Perfect. Beautiful. Open a game. Both displays set at 1280x720 AS I WANT. No problem.

Now I tell it to not use the laptop display, and ONLY send the output to the external monitor (Show only on display 2). Set it to Maintain Display Scaling. The desktop is at 720 resolution as I want. I confirm that on the monitor that it is reporting a 720 source. Beautiful.

I open a game (again, with full screen settings at 720 AS I DESIRE, and which JUST worked when both monitors were active). For some reason, the Intel HD Graphics solution freaks out and sets the HDMI output to 1920x1080 (confirmed by checking my monitor's source reporting), completely ignoring my settings, and then displays the game in a tiny 720 window in the center of the screen, surrounded by a disgusting, SUPER big black bar filling in the rest of the pixels to get it to 1920x1080. Why is this kind of absolute nonsense even happening? When would ANY user EVER desire this behavior? And how can I stop it?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- privatecrunch,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support

I do apologize for any inconvenience caused. To get a better understanding of the issue, please provide the following information:

1. The games you are playing.

2. A scan of your system:

-Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

-Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

-To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

-Provide the scan

I look forward to hearing from you.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
BJohn20
Beginner

Thanks for your fast response, Wanner. I really do appreciate it.

This is happening on both Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2, and Bioshock 2: Remastered, both on Steam. I have not tried any others on HDMI output yet, but I'd suspect they will be the same.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello privatecrunch,

Thank you for the information provided.

I did further research and it seems that you can update the Intel® Graphics Driver. Find the link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27417?v=t here.

Keep in mind that you can also download the latest drivers from your laptop manufacturer and test the game at the desired resolution.

I also recommend you to check the game settings and set it to the resolution desired. Some games are designed to run at a specific resolution such as 1920x1080, which might be happening when you open the game. I am still doing research on this.

In the meantime, please provide the monitor model, too.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
BJohn20
Beginner

Can't install the driver update.

"This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."

Monitor is an old Samsung 1080p TV display.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello privatecrunch,

Thank you for your response.

Because the Intel Graphics Driver is not working, I recommend you to download the latest driver from your laptop manufacturer. Were you able to find any information about that?

I would like to find additional information about your monitor, but what you provided is not the monitor model. The model number is usually found on the back of the monitor.

Also, did you check the game settings? Keep in mind that you can also attach pictures to this thread.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
BJohn20
Beginner

Thanks, but I've given up on finding a solution. I got tired of dealing with proprietary drivers for standardized hardware when I got stuck without a driver update for 5 years on a laptop I bought in 2002. If the solution is to look for driver updates from a manufacturer who has ABSOLUTELY no incentive to provide after-market support for a product they've already sold, then it's already a dead option. I'll just install Linux and and actually have reasonable driver support.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
0 Kudos