Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Minus value for Max core freq I7 7820HK

rclif
Beginner

Hi all I'm new here.

i have recently noticed that for some reason my max core freq is showing -2.9Ghz in both XTU and dragon gaming center?

I have tried too reboot, reinstall DGC and XTU and checked the Bios which is showing core freq of 10000?

This value will not change when i OC in these programs but shows correctly in Task manager

Could someone please help?

(I aint the best when it comes to this sort of stuff!)

here's a screenshot of XTU

Here's DGC

Here's Task manager

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello RyanC,

Thank you for joining the Processors community.

I would like to share with you that overclocking can be achieved with unlock desktop processors which from our end are named with an "X" or a "K" at the end of the model numeration. Since your processor is a mobile, a good thing to do will be to check with your computer manufacturer in order to verify if the overclocking is supported by your particular computer model. What I can mention is that the frequencies shown in your screenshots are completely fine.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

While the max speed of 2.9ghz does look normal, I am also noticed you do not seem to be getting the boost on this chip.

The spec sheet on that CPU shows it will boost up to 3.9ghz. So while overclocking support might be limited since it is a laptop, you should still have good performance when boosting. I am curious why it isn't boosting in any of the screenshots provided though.

0 Kudos
rclif
Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply

As you can see my system is overclockable. The -2.9Ghz shown here shows the same in XTU too whilst overclocked?

I noticed this all started after the latest windows update (creators)?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/114449 RyanC, thank for you the screenshots.

Please let me review this matter.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
rclif
Beginner

Hi there,

i have recently run the benchmark whilst OC'd and uploaded to HWBOT through XTU here is the link where you can see the results are showing -200% cpu speed? http://hwbot.org/submission/3557059 anonymous`s XTU score: 1213 marks with a Core i7 7820HK.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Looking at the results to that benchmark I noticed that it is running pretty hot (93c). I am curious if when boosting it is hitting the thermal limit and then under clocking 2.9 to avoid damaging the chip.

It does appear to be boosting correctly to 4ghz, but you are still showing it at -2.9 in some of the utilities. It could just be that the chip is so new that it hasn't be added to those utilities either.

My two thoughts here are that it is either an issue with those programs not properly detecting the chip (an update to them might solve this) or that the chip is either hitting the thermal limit and throttling itself. I guess it could also be running AVX instructions and using a negative offset for those as well to prevent the high temps they typically generate.

Hopefully the Intel rep will chime in here as I would be interested in their opinion.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/114449 RyanC, could you please confirm if this is your laptop model https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT73VR-6RF-Titan-Pro.html# hero-overview GT73VR 6RF Titan Pro | Laptops - The best gaming laptop provider | MSI Global? I searched the model in your screenshots and it was the only result.

Please try the following suggestions;

Please let me know the results.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/114449 RyanC, hope you were able to follow the suggestions mentioned above.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos