Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

I would like to use intel optane with integrated graphics on a 7400t how do I find a motherboard that supports max shared memory that is more than 1024

BBria
Beginner

I currently have 5200u laptop and windows has assigned 4000mb as shared memory which works fine for me. However, I figured with a desktop build (7400t) I could install even more ram and have a build that works well with integrated graphics while also have ram left over for other things. Anyway having an ultra fast sdd cache for the ram sounded like it would work really well with integrated graphics. In any case, I'd like to test it out. The problem is most motherboards say the maximum shared memory for onboard graphics is 1024mb. However I'd like it to use the windows 10 limit of half of the installed ram which is found on your help page. The recommended motherboards for intel optane all seem to have this limit. Is there anyway I can find out if I set the dvmt or shared graphics setting to auto or max or whatever is on the motherboard that the bios wouldn't prevent me from using the maximum shared memory that the system is allowed to. I also looked at the wattage for intel optane which seem very power efficient. Is there a reason they are limited to desktop boards besides using an m2 connector.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello fallout4crashtheory,

Please bear in mind that Intel® Optane™ Memory is not a RAM caching, but rather an inteligent boot drive and application acceleration solution. As such, your motherboard's maximum shared memory support will have no effect on your Intel® Optane™ Memory usage.

While our list of Optane™ Memory ready motherboards is fairly complete, it's not intended to be all-inclusive. There are many systems we're unable to list, such as OEM computers and Intel® NUCs, which do support this technology (more complete systems should become available starting this summer).

Our recommendation as always will be to check with the specific hardware vendor for hardware compatibility and feature availability.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000024018.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000024020.html Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready Motherboards.

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcKCBwEPXZcf Understanding Intel® Optane™ Memory (video).

We hope this information helps. If you have any additional questions, feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BBria
Beginner

has anyone with optane been able to set the shared memory for their integrated graphics higher than 1024. The setting should be max dvmt or auto dvmt on the motherboard. You should be able to do this test with the current dedicated graphics installed. you can then set the shared memory to a small value when the test is done. Thank you anyone nice enough to do this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Our best recommendation will be to contact your motherboard manufacturer of choice and ask them the following:

- Do you have any motherboards supporting both Intel® Optane™ Memory and a Maximum shared memory of more than 1024 MB?

Since Optane™ Memory is not technically memory, but an M.2 NVMe SSD used for SATA caching, these two will be independent factors.

Perhaps another user would be able to answer your question directly, however it's outside of our support scope.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BBria
Beginner

well I guess that is reasonable. if you could please answer me this question at least I can mark this as answered. can I enable Windows write caching which I thought did use ram and if I enable write caching through optane rst program does that write caching work like Windows or does the setting enabled and disabled just use the Intel optane drive for the write cache instead of ram.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Write caching works by allowing Windows* to tell a process that a write to the disk has been performed, allowing processing to continue, while in reality the device caches the write-in memory to complete at a later time as part of other writes to optimize performance (saves the data to your RAM temporarily to write it to the disk later in bulk).

This setting is dangerous because if you experience a power outage, the write may never actually occur and your data will become lost or corrupted.

Intel® Optane™ Memory works by saving parts of your most used programs and their files to the Optane™ Memory module (which is basically a small but fast and highly reliable SSD sitting closer to your processor) and then allowing your system to access these files much faster.

Write caching may be enabled if you're using Intel® Optane™ Memory, as these two work on their own ways. However, Microsoft* warns agains using write caching unless you have a back up power supply (UPS).

- https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20130416-00/?p=4643 Dangerous setting is dangerous - Microsoft* blog.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

Long answer short, you can use both, but our recommendation is to stick to Optane™ Memory only to stay on the safe side.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos