Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Intel RealSense Camera and Intel I3 Core

PKell1
Beginner

Hi Community and hi Intel,

As you can see above, this discussion is about the new RealSense camera SA300. We are using the infrared feature to log in to our computers.

One of our main pcs has a Intel Core I3, who is now, with the new Update of the drivers not compatibel with the camera.

I can understand, if intel recommends a i6 core or higher for this technology, but it would be great, if WE can decide what we need for it and intel not just cancels us out via software.

My point is, the i3 core is not a normal i3. It is a core, made for servers, so alot stronger than many i6 cores. The next point is, that the camera worked with an older driver, so this is not a hardware problem. I can not understand, how a surface 1 in an intel i6 core, which so slow and weak can run this camera, but a full upgraded pc with a server i3 core and power like a giant can not run it, just because Intel cancel this out.

It would be at least great if intel let us download an older version of the driver.

Best Regards,

Paul
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The official minimum specification for the SR300 camera is an Intel Core 6th Generation 'Skylake' processor, which come in i3, i5 and i7 speeds. There is a little bit of flexibility in this though. I have heard of the SR300 working with 6-core and 10-core Intel Xeon 5th generation 'Broadwell-E' server processors. Although Broadwell is 5th generation, the Broadwell-E server processors have about a 50-50 chance of working with the SR300 because they are typically newer (and so closer to the release date of Skylake) than the ordinary, older Broadwell (non-E) processors.

Also, the size of a server PSU does not necessarily guarantee correct operation of the camera. There have been 600 W server PSUs that have still had issues with the camera, because if the camera is not being detected or is not working correctly, the problem can be with how the USB ports are distributing power to the camera, rather than the amount of power overall that the PSU is providing.

Intel have recently changed how they distribute the drivers for the SR300. The DCM is no longer needed for that camera model in the latest Windows builds, as the drivers are provided by Windows 10 instead. So if you have recently updated the build of Windows that you are using to one where the RealSense SR300 drivers are built into it, that may have been the point where you started having problems with the camera.

I am not certain yet of the full details of how this new distribution process works, so I will link into this discussion somebody who does know about it - Intel support member Jesus G, the_jesus in the hope that he can offer some useful advice.

0 Kudos
PKell1
Beginner

Hey Marty,

Thank you for your advice,

as you said, the server cores can and are better then normal cores. Maybe I said something a bit too unclear. The Core aswell as the USB ports are enough for the camera to work correctly. There is enough power as also enough compatibility provided. How do I know that? With old drivers and versions, the camera worked correctly and without any issue. Just after the last update through Windows (which can't be undo by the way) is the cameras not working anymore.

We already talked to support members for the camera and got an answer like it can not work with an i3 core or and advice to upgrade our system. But we know, that this is not an hardware issue at all, just a change of software got us the problem.
0 Kudos
PKell1
Beginner

Hi, sorry again,

I am totally wrong. We are not using an i3 core, we are using an i7 3930K Core and it is not working I thought it is an i3 because it is called 3. generation.
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The 3930K is listed as being a 2nd generation 'Sandy Bridge E' type enterprise processor. In theory it should be too old to run any RealSense camera. but as I always say, multi-core enterprise processors like Xeon exist in their own strange universe where the usual rules don't always apply! Hence why you were likely able to run the camera on it up until now despite the official minimum specification.

RealSense is not particularly bothered about the 'i' speed of processors. It cares more about the type of architecture generation that the processor has. So as long at it is at least an i3, it is okay.

I'm wary about suggesting further action until Intel support member Jesus G can contribute his knowledge about the new driver setup. I don't know if the SR300 DCM would be conflicting with the new Windows-based drivers if the DCM is still installed. I would recommend waiting for Jesus G's opinion before taking further action.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Scorix,

Let us know if you need more help with your inquiry, in case you want to review the system requirements for the Intel® RealSense™ Camera SR300 you can find them on the below link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/000020964.html System Requirements for the Intel® RealSense™ Camera SR300

I hope you find this information helpful.

Also thanks MartyG for the reply with the information as well.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Leonardo L
0 Kudos