Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

HD 620 Does not support 3840x2160 4k 60Hz

mkric
Beginner

Similar to , I cannot get 60Hz working on my Samsung NP900X5N laptop.

I have a 18Gbps HDMI cable

The TV supports 4k/60Hz 4:4:4

The integrated graphics should: http://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/architecture-and-technology/visual-technology/graphics-overview.html Experience Visual Perfection with Intel® Graphics Technology

I disabled the laptop screen

Updating to the latest drivers on windows does not fix the problem.

Creating a custom mode with xrandr in linux and switching to that does not fix the problem (output: `xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed`)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello matthew_k,

I understand you are trying to get 3840x2160@60Hz screen resolution through HDMI.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

Depending on the type of HDMI port Samsung* installed in your computer then the maximum screen resolution you will be able to get. If Samsung* installed HDMI 1.4 port in the laptop then you will not be able to get 3840x2160@60Hz. The bandwidth 3840x2160@60Hz requires exceeds the maximum bandwidth HDMI 1.4 specification can support. If Samsung* installed HDMI 2.0 port on your laptop you should be able to get 3840x2160@60Hz.

The best option would be contacting Samsung* so they can let you know the type of HDMI port they installed in your computer.

Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry.

Regards,

Fred D.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello matthew_k,

I understand you are trying to get 3840x2160@60Hz screen resolution through HDMI.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

Depending on the type of HDMI port Samsung* installed in your computer then the maximum screen resolution you will be able to get. If Samsung* installed HDMI 1.4 port in the laptop then you will not be able to get 3840x2160@60Hz. The bandwidth 3840x2160@60Hz requires exceeds the maximum bandwidth HDMI 1.4 specification can support. If Samsung* installed HDMI 2.0 port on your laptop you should be able to get 3840x2160@60Hz.

The best option would be contacting Samsung* so they can let you know the type of HDMI port they installed in your computer.

Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
mkric
Beginner

Wow, thanks Fred. I just assumed a new laptop would have HDMI 2.0 (and even some review websites say it does!) but that was the problem.

0 Kudos
ST1
Novice

Intel CPU only offer UHD 60Hz on Displayport, the HDMI is 1.4 max (UHD 30Hz).

Notebooks with Displayport are very rare (HP business line).

There are converter chips (DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0) but I haven't seen them in notebooks.

I really hope Intel will add native HDMI 2.x output to future CPU generations.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Stefan75,

Thanks for the additional information you are sharing with us.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos