Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Wrong Display Resolution with i7-7700T (630 Graphics) and NEC EA274WMi

plies
Beginner

I just finished a build around an i7-7700T. Standard stuff with an MSI H270M MB.

But after installing Windows 10 Pro, try as I may I can not do anything to change the display resolution away from 1920x1080. My display supports 2560x1440. The HD630 graphics should easily do that.

I updated all the drivers. I asked Windows to display resolution modes my hardware doesn't support. I went into the Intel Graphics Control Panel and tried to define a custom resolution, but it then tells me it "exceeds bandwidth".

I am stuck. Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello pablolies,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues to set up 2560x1440 resolution.

This issue could be related to the video connection you are using. According to your http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/E7A70v1.0.zip motherboard's specifications (page 15), the max resolution supported when using the DVI-D port is 1920x1200@60Hz, then this would be a motherboard's limitation.

If you are not using the DVI-D to port, please provide the following information to better assist you:
  • Video connection you are using:
  • The part number of the cable being used:
  • Are you using any video adapter? If yes, please provide the part number.
I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Juan V.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello pablolies,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues to set up 2560x1440 resolution.

This issue could be related to the video connection you are using. According to your http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/E7A70v1.0.zip motherboard's specifications (page 15), the max resolution supported when using the DVI-D port is 1920x1200@60Hz, then this would be a motherboard's limitation.

If you are not using the DVI-D to port, please provide the following information to better assist you:
  • Video connection you are using:
  • The part number of the cable being used:
  • Are you using any video adapter? If yes, please provide the part number.
I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Juan V.
plies
Beginner

Thank you - and ouch you are correct. It never occurred to me that in 2017 and with existing capabilities there would still be such a basic limitation on a motherboard.

I will connect things with HDMI and see if the issue thereby resolves itself... I know all the associated cables support the Dual DVI-D resolution because I had it working at full resolution before with the exact same setup. So let's try HDMI.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pablolies,

You are welcome. Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
plies
Beginner

Thank you Juan -

I connected it via HDMI and indeed it is working flawlessly at full resolution.

Next step is to look for a motherboard that supports higher resolution for integrated graphics - seems the capabilities of HD630 have leapfrogged mobo's vendors capabilities... even the HDMI resolution on my board is below what the i7-7700 is capable of! I was about to buy a monitor with even higher resolution, but shall hold back for a little while.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pablolies,

Thank you for letting me know that the HDMI worked.

There are motherboards that support the full capabilities of Intel® HD Graphics 630 from your processor (i.e.: the Asus Strix Z270E Gaming, to name only one), it will just take time from your side to research this.

Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
plies
Beginner

Based on an extensive search, I think many users are struggling with this issue - simple and straight-forward as the answer/solution is.

Even the board you suggested has DVI maxing out at 1080. The HDMI/DP alternatives of course go -as you suggest- much higher. This probably signals an industry move wide away from DVI as an HD+ interface that honestly I haven't seen discussed. Other than the lack of education (seems vendors should be evangelizing "forget DVI, embrace HDMI, and this is why ...") I am totally OK with it, I just wasn't aware of it. I am sure there are very good cost or technical reasons for it, I just hadn't encountered them, nor was I expecting my DVI cable (which was working at full resolution with a lowly GT440 graphics card on the side) to suddenly not work in an HD630 setting.

And it's all *fine*, I just think more user education for us few remaining system builders is required. 🙂 I know the industry has turned, and probably it's mostly gamers that build systems, and of course they use high powered graphics cards. I think that maybe some outreach for those of us who obliviously build silent systems and go for the i7-7700T stuff would appreciate a straight forward "Keep in mind most motherboards only support higher integrated graphics resolutions for HDMI and DisplayPort interfaces" or so.

It's not a complaint - it's a suggestion. I thank you very much for your prompt reply, you saved me a lot of time! Thanks Juan! You rock!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pablolies,

You are welcome.

Thank you for sharing your comments.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos