Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

What cycle does Intel use to end-of-life processors to introduce new processors

JStee6
Beginner

Our School division currently has the option to buy computers with the i56500 or i76700 processors. Currently we have been buying teachers the i5 option and our higher end labs the i7 option. We are just now in an evergreen cycle and are wondering if we should stay with that plan. But since our evergreen cycle is 5 years and knowing that technology changes drastically over that time, should we now be buying i7 for all users in preparation for newer technologies and demands on the processor possibly coming in the future? When will Intel end-of-life the current i5 chip or announce a newer faster version? Just wondering if this happens yearly or how many times over the next 5 years? Any information about Intel development road maps or other suggestions will be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello Horizon67,

There is no specific development road maps for this processors family, the support of it is something that will depend on the product demand. Intel is always innovating with new and exciting products, but as long as the product is demanded by the public we will provide support and updates. For more information on future products and technologies visit; https://newsroom.intel.com/ Intel Newsroom | Intel Official News and Information

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos