Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

D54250WYK Bluetooth install ?

LLeon4
Novice

When I installed Win7 Pro 64-bit last December, mostly went well, except 4 things noted in my post of 18/12/13 (thread 4735).

Only item clearly resolved was the Monitor blanking when I changed the miniHDMI-to-VGA adapter.

My further post on 2/1/14 in last para. said "although I installed the 7260-AC driver, I see no entry for the 7260 Bluetooth in Device Manager or Systemtray. Might that be responsible for Port 7 status 'No Driver installed' ?" As Device Manger had no yellow exclamation marks, until then I had assumed all hardware drivers were installed.

After some months the message "USB device not recognised" (on Port 7) stopped appearing of its own accord and I noticed that Device Manager NOW has a new entry 'Bluetooth Radios' under which it has 2 subentries: 'Generic Bluetooth Adapter' - on Port007 - confirming my earlier question does your 7260 BT use Port7, and 'Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator'. Both are from MS, so even though I have MS Updates disabled, I assume Windows at some point decided to install theirs in absence of Intel software. Other than the MS entries in Device Mgr, I see no other sign of how to use my Bluetooth. In Devices & Printers . Bluetooth Devices I get 'no items match your search. I expected to find some Intel Bluetooth Control Program to let me setup Bluetooth and connect for example, my BT Headset. On earlier laptops with BT, I was provided with a FN keytoggle to turn both WiFi & BT hardware on/off. I would be grateful for advice on what I am missing and need to do to achieve that.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Paul, thanks for contacting us through the Intel Communities.

This seems to be a problem related to the installation of the drivers on your NUC.

Please install the Proset for Wireless software first and then the Proset for Bluetooth.

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldId=23992 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldId=23992

2. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23998 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23998

If you go to Device manager, it should look like this. If it doesn't please disconnect the power cable from the NUC, leave the system without power for a couple of minutes and connect it again.

In order to add a Bluetooth device please check this picture. It will show you how to do it.

0 Kudos
LLeon4
Novice

Thanks for that advice: FYI Device Manager shows the same 2 items in 'Network Adapters' (PAN# 2, RFCOMM Proto # 2)

Think my original install used 'wireless_16.6.0_s64.exe, followed much later by BT_3.1.1311_s64.exe

Following your instructions I downloaded both 'Wireless_1705_s64.exe' and 'BT_17.0.1405.02_s64.exe' on the assumption running them will also install or reinstall the Drivers - correct ?

I tried the former it gave 2 options: 'Upgrade and migrate existing install options (Recommended)', or 'Customize the Install location and select which optional features to install'

The Customize selection gives 3 tickboxes: 1) Intel My WiFi (default ticked) 2) PROSet/Wireless Enterprise Sware - for connectivity between PCs and wireless LAN; 3 Admin Toolkit, followed by 'Upgrade' button

At that point I exited the program as I have these further questions:

Should I uninstall any of the older 7260 software before running the new file ? (if so, I notice 'Intel PROSet Wireless SWare 390MB shows in Control Panel>Uninstall Programs, but not the BT)

Which choice should I take: Upgrade & migrate..., or 'Customize...' ? If the latter, should I just tick the 1st 2 items ?

When running the BT file, are there any particular choices I need to choose ?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please run the installers in the order given. You may simply "upgrade" but just for your information it is recommended to install the wireless software extensions, the Administrator Tool is just for enterprise/IT users; I believe the options you want to choose are 1 and 2 when you select "customize".

You may only need to uninstall the older version if you have trouble installing the new one. I think the Bluetooth* software will be more straightforward since it does not offer different options during the process.

I hope I have covered all your questions.

0 Kudos
LLeon4
Novice

Sorry for the delay, been on the move. Thanks for your advice. I followed your helpful instructions and the Proset UI at last appeared in familiar form. Bluetooth UI became available via the BT icon in the system tray. I was able to 'Add' my 'Plantronics C720-M' as a BT device. Have had mixed results using the Headset. My first test was to play music which it did for about half an hour, with a range about 12 to 15 feet, (Plantronics spec states upto 30 feet depending on the other end) but then when experimenting with the Remote Volume Control on the Headset only a metre from the NUC it suddency cut out. Whether to do with my pressing the Volume button on the remote or not, I don't know. Was unable to get sound back in the headset by retracing previous install steps. By chance I then right-clicked on the Plantronics icon in 'Devices & Printers'>BT Devices. From that popup I clicked on 'Services', which launched another popup titled 'Plantronics C720-M' showing a graphic (like in Internet>Sharing Center) but showing my NUC on the left, with a connecting line to Headset with a hex address on the right. Below that, a section titled Operations listed 2 items: 1) 'Listen to Music' ; 2) 'Forward VoIP Calls to Handsfree' - with a green tick to say connected. After very many tries, I was able to make a test call on Skype (tried many times before Skype>Tools>Audio settings could select the Bluetooth Headset - kept reverting to Realtek for a wired headset, or to the Monitor Speakers). After clicking the 'Mobile Call' button on the Plantronics, I saw that the graphic screen (Devices & Printers>BT devices) had updated to show both 'Listen to Music' and 'Forward VoIP Calls to Handsfree' had green ticks. I was then able to listen to the Music Player again, although not long after the headset again went dead ! - yet the graphic still showed the Plantronics BT as 'Connected'

In above session I inadvertantly removed the sound channel to the Video Monitor Speaker (HDMI) - which is where I normally direct Sound, when not using my external sound system for multimedia. Grateful if you can advise how to reinstate it (it not longer shows in 'Speakers'>Playback devices, or in Device Mgr>Sound. Win7 'Devices Troubleshooter' had no advice)

Being first time I have used Bluetooth, I am somewhat confused, unsure to which UI routing in Windows7 & Bluetooth UI, I should use to properly control use of the Headset for a) making Skype calls; b) Listening to Music. Ideally it should be automatic, but I have ended up typically RightClicking on the 'Speaker' icon in the systray>Playback devices, then making the device I want to use 'Default' (often seems only way of selecting it) then doing same for Recording devices. I have not yet installing the Plantronics Control Panel software but they say basic functions should work without it. It would help me get up to speed if there is a general Guide to using BT Headsets with PCs you can direct me to ? I have no clue as to why the actual sound connection to the BT Headset breaks after say 20 to 30 minutes, even though Windows says its still connected. I have not had time to experiment & log my efforts over a long period as yet..

During the BT Headset install, at one point, I noticed under 'Properties' there were 4 tabs, and under 'Services' Audio Sink, Handsfree Telephony, Remote Control - were all ticked. But Headset was unticked. I ticked Headset - thinking I needed it just to hear music, but later thought the defaults sufficient. I thought to now unitick it, in case duplicate Service confused the issue, but I dont seem to be able to get back to that UI with the tickboxes in order to untick it.

I notice if I turn off WiFi in Proset, the Bluetooth icon in the system tray disappears. I then have to turn WiFi on, then reboot, to restore Bluetooth. Is that behaviour expected ?- it is just that I remember with an old laptop using your then WiFi-G mini-card & Proset, there was a keyboard Fn key to selectively enable Bluetooth on its own.

I am tentatively concluding the Intel software & drivers for both WiFi and Bluetooth are now properly installed, and I am just left with learning how to operate a Bluetooth headset and easily switch sound between, the Monitor Speaker, my wired analog active speaker system, and the headset, which leaves just the poor WiFi sensitivity and fan noise as outstanding issues with my NUC.

0 Kudos
LLeon4
Novice

Grateful if anyone has tip on how to recover the sound channel to the Video Monitor Speaker (HDMI) I inadvertantly removed (maybe unticked) when trying to get the Bluetooth channel selected.

With the NUC being a low-energy system, >99% of the time I normally use the Sound from the Monitor Speaker. I was wondering if trying a System Restore Point will bring it back ? Date of last Automatic System Restore Point is 5 August. I lost the HDMI sound on I think 8 August. (the WiFi & Bluetooth software were reinstalled before this date)

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The disconnection may have occurred because of interference or the distance between devices. There is also the chance that the device was trying to use two different services while it is recommended to use only one. I recommend you disabling or enabling the services as needed from the Services window (double click the Bluetooth icon and the device icon); you may notice the phone is currently using "Play Music".

I am not sure why the Headset service was unticked but it may help removing the device from the Devices and Printer's list and pairing it again. Usually there is no need to modify those services boxes.

The options to enable or disable WiFi and Bluetooth vary and are specific depending to the computer's brand and model.

The built-in Windows Help and Support feature in Windows* 7 offers some content regarding Bluetooth. I also added some online articles.

In regards of the HDMI audio issue I believe you can get it working again after uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel® HD Graphics driver. The Windows* System Restore is a valid option too.

0 Kudos
LLeon4
Novice

In my last post on Bluetooth I tentatively concluded the Intel software & drivers for both WiFi and Bluetooth are now properly installed with entries in Device Mgr as per your advice. But during my first attempt to actually use Bluetooth, during a partially successful attempt to pair and use a Plantronics BT Headset, something happened (maybe something I did wrong) that caused the Bluetooth entries to be removed from Device Manager (No 'Bluetooth Radios' in root, and no BT in 'Network Adapters', and there is now no Bluetooth icon in the system tray. I also notice in Device Mgr, under the 'USB controllers' entry, the earlier issue of 'Unknown Device' has re-appreared - where in 'Properties' I see it uses Port 007, which I eventually discovered is used by the 7260 card. WiFi still works.

In the Control Panel>Uninstall, I see Intel PROSet/Wireless Software for BT 17.0.1405.0466 67.5MB listed.

I re-installed from BT_17.0.1405.02_s64.exe dated 26/7/14 but nothing appears to have changed.

Can you advise what I need to do to get Bluetooth to re-appear ?

I followed your advice and ran the Intel Graphics driver (GFX_Win7_Win8_Win8.1_64_10.18.10.3345) again, but no joy. Currently, there is a red x mark on the Volume icon in the System Tray - unless I plug in external audio to the 3.5mm socket. (ext audio works) Today I repeated the install, the only difference this time, is there is no red x on the Volume icon. (In Volume>'Playback devices', the HDMI Monitor does not appear, only Speakers-RealtekHD Audio, Default device)

Can you think of what else to try ?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

If no Bluetooth* radios show up it could be the wireless adapter is not making contact properly in the mini PCI Express slot. Try removing it and integrating it again.

In case it is not hardware related but a software issue instead, you could try the Windows* System Restore; it may also fix your audio issue.

0 Kudos
LLeon4
Novice

Thanks for your 2 suggestions. Considering System Restore first, I see only 2 Restore Points, 4 & 11 Sept - both type 'Auto', and well after the date of the Bluetooth & HDMI HD Audio problem.

Since system build last December I have been careful to only install known programs I have previously used, so not felt the need to manually Create any Restore Points. Why there are only 2 auto Restore Points, don't know. I installed Windows on its defaults. During my attempt to get Bluetooth working with the Plantronics C720 Headset for both Skype and Music playback, the only thing that got 'installed' then were any Plantronics Drivers. Plantronics have a Windows App for better control of their Headset, but as they say basic functions operate without it, I never got as far as installing that, which may be why no 'Auto' Restore Point created at that time. (all the same, bit surprised only 2 v. recent auto Restore Points.). So I conclude System Restore won't solve the problem - Correct ? I would very much prefer NOT to wipe programs by performing a windows Re-Install, as I am travelling, and rely on this as my MAIN computer for daily international calls/emails/ access of accounts etc. Many Apps would have to be re-installed, maybe even a backup of near 200GB data since build last December, lot of work, and a worrying risk.

Considering your other suggestion - remove/refit the 7260 card because of incomplete socket mating - I have a few thoughts: firstly, are you saying incomplete miniPCIe connection allows a fully functional Wifi but can disable the Bluetooth ? -remember, my post said WiFi still works. Secondly, if you check back on this same thread, I said on 23 July I referred to my earlier post soon after system build, that WiFi worked (but very sensitivity compared to my even smaller Nexus 5 smartphone) but Bluetooth did not, and that for some months, I was getting an error message USB Port 007 error, and that only after Windows itself seemed to have installed some generic drivers, did I realise USB Port 007 was associated with the Bluetooth portion of the DualBand AC 7260 Wifi card. So it seems to me, presence or absence of USB Port 0007 'Unknown Device' msg may hold a key to this problem. After following sylvia_intel's advice in her 2 posts of 24 July and yours of 28 July, I posted 'I tentatively concluded the Intel software & drivers for both WiFi and Bluetooth are now properly installed, and I am just left with learning how to operate a Bluetooth headset and easily switch sound between, the Monitor Speaker, my wired analog active speaker system, and the headset,"

Soon after that when I actively tried to use the Bluetooth - using the 1 BT I have the Plantronics headset, that this new problem began, but with the same symptom I had from the December build, to getting the images shown in Slyvia's 2 images. During all that time, I have never had cause to open up the NUC case again, or subject it to mechancial shock, so resulting from these 2 queries, I am wondering if a poor mPCIe connection can be cause of this ? (I can of course open the box, which will require me to remove/refit the SSD in order to refit the 7260 card.... but if its a red herring, rather not, and instead troubleshoot correct cause. I have wondered if you know of any Intel or 3rd party utility diagnostic tools for both USB ports, and for miniPCIe ports to throw light on the problem ? Another question: for the 2 Intel PROSet software files in Slyvia's post, does it help to do a Control Panel/Uninstall before Installing afresh ?

I was just about to post this when on re-reading Sylvia's post saying to remove power completely, thought to do so. At boott I get Notification "Bluetooth Server Device driver installed successfully" - the 2 images in Sylvia's post now present, and 'USB Port 007 Unknown' vanished.. 'Show BT devices - still lists the Plantronic, even though unused for a month.

So in case of future probs, I would be grateful if you can still comment on my queries re. troubleshooting mPCIe card above.

Also, most important, can you think of reasons (may have been me getting frustrated in my BT learning curve) why the BT Driver to disappear ?

Sadly, it hasn't fixed the disappearance of HDMI Audio. As I said, there is no pre-prob Restore Point to go back to. Which sware controls sound to the Monitor: Intel Graphics driver, Realtek HD Audio driver, or something else ? Will it help to use Control Panel/Uninstall of any Intel or Realtek entry, then install afresh ? When I open the Realtek HD Audio Manager in the System Tray with nothing plugged into the 3.5mm socket, the only device it shows is 'Microphone', It used to show Philips 230C Monitor.

Lastly, I have mentioned the very weak Wifi sensitivity a number of times and no Intel forum response. I have just run through the AC 7260 Properties>Advanced tab, and noticed a parameter I wasn't expecting: 'Wireless Mode' - is set to a/b/g - with no fast setting avaialble. Others are: Tx Power 5. highest, Roaming Aggressiveness 1. no Pref., Pref Band 1. no Pref. 11n Channel Width=Auto. I have not altered any defaults. Can 7260 Range be improved by altering any Settings, eg reducing Channel Width to 20MHz ? (there are no 5GHz AP in range, all 11n or less). Likewise, are there any PROSet changes that may help ? I realise the NUC only has small internal antennas, but my N5 smartphone is far smaller, yet can reliably connect to a 11n just 1 floor/1 room away, but the NUC can only see it, but not reliably connect. I read the 7260 puts out 25 or 32mW, but can find no spec on the other half of the equation, Rx Sensitivity in dB - surely equally as important as Tx power ?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may be right regarding the "USB device not recognized in port 007". Try uninstalling the USB devices (hosts controllers, root hubs…) from device manager and then restart the system.

Regarding the HDMI audio, uninstalling Intel® HD Graphics and reinstalling is exactly what I was trying to suggest above. Please try the steps on this article: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034574.htm Graphics Drivers — Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel Display/HDMI Audio Driver

There are several things that can be done to improve Wi-Fi performance and connectivity, but if by weak Wi-Fi sensitivity you mean weak signal strength, the issue may be related to the connection of the antennas. In such case is good to know how many bars, dBm, or percent of signal strength you are getting at a determined distance from the router. Running "netsh wlan show interfaces" from CMD can give you the signal strength in percent value.

You can also try running "sfc /scannow" from an elevated CMD to attempt fixing operating system issues.

0 Kudos