Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Icons auto-arranged after driver update

HLe11
Beginner

When I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, I used Win 8.1 Intel graphic driver (directly from the laptop manufacturer). At that time, after I ran programs (StarCraft Broodwar, Counter-strike: Global Offensive) with different resolution, I went back to desktop, and every icon stayed where they used to be.

When I saw a few notifications telling me Win 8.1 Intel graphic driver stopped working and had been recovered, I decided to update to Win 10 Intel graphic driver (through Windows update). Now after I ran programs (StarCraft Broodwar, Counter-strike: Global Offensive) with different resolution, I went back to desktop, and every icon was arranged to the left as if auto-arrange was on.

I didn't change any settings; just a simple driver update messed up my icons.

How can I fix this problem?

Note:

- If I rolled back to Win 8.1 Intel graphic driver, icon auto-arrange didn't occur. However, I kept seeing notifications telling me that driver stopped working and had been recovered.

- Auto-arrange is ALWAYS disable.

My specs:

Clevo W230st

i7-4700mq

16 GB Ram

NVIDIA 765m

Windows 10 64-bit

Thank you.

EDIT: I added a video showing the problem. Because of the recorder, StarCraft appeared to be in a corner; in fact, it was at full screen.

https://youtu.be/EMuNBeX8VgY Icons auto arrange - YouTube

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

What happens when you re-arrange the icons? Do they stay on same place? I am not seeing this issue with any of our demos.

Allan.

0 Kudos
HLe11
Beginner

Yes, they stayed in the same place if I re-arranged them. The icons stay where they should be even when I restart the computer. It only happened after I ran a full screen program using a different resolution.

What should I do?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
HLe11
Beginner

Let me make it clear. The auto-arrange only happens after a full screen program with a different resolution was open.

Restarting has nothing to do with this auto-arrange. Icons stay where they are before restarting.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have watched the video you posted on Youtube and it was very clear to me; however, I am not getting same problem. This might be a windows registry issue. Try running system restore or reinstall operating system.

Allan.
0 Kudos