Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

I have a failed SRCSASRB Raid Card. Can I purchase a new Intel RAID Card and save the array?

LFolt
Beginner

I am wondering if it is possible to install a new Intel RAID Card to replace a failed SRCSASRB and have the new card recognize the old array. If so is there a specific card I should purchase?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello,

Yes is possible to import a foreign configuration from an older RAID controller to a newer one without any problems. The new RAID controller should detect it but if it doesn't, you can recreate the RAID array without initializing to remain the data.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

The array configuration is stored on HDDs, in hidden area on first track. Exact format of config depends of vendor. Cause newer Intel RAID controllers are also based on LSI chips (like yours old one), there is a good chance of successful array detection by new controller. I personally done such tricks in past, although not with this exact controller. If you decided to have a try, after controller replacement you should immediately invoke a RAID setup utility at time of POST and utility will tell you about foreign configuration detected - just import it. There may be issues later with patrol read tasks failed with message like 'array was newer initialized', but they do not affect normal array work.

idata
Employee

Hello,

Yes is possible to import a foreign configuration from an older RAID controller to a newer one without any problems. The new RAID controller should detect it but if it doesn't, you can recreate the RAID array without initializing to remain the data.

0 Kudos