Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Depth Map of black pixels are not scanned using SR300

SAgga1
Beginner

I am using Realsense SR300 Camera for object mapping.

when i scan a object or human, black pixels are not scanned for depth map, so they appear to be hollow.

Something like below. (Hairs, beard appears hollow)

HW Detail : Detail. : Odroid XU4 with Intel Realsense SR300

Is it expected behavior of SR300 ? Seems very strange to me.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

It is due to a physics principle with depth cameras in general, not specifically RealSense. Black or grey colors absorb the laser light, like how black t-shirts soak up sunlight. The camera therefore cannot detect these colors. The principle can also be seen when scanning black cables - there is a cable-shaped black area on the image.

Dark objects can be made more visible to the camera with a fine spray on powder such as baby powder or foot powder. I appreciate that this is not ideal for beards and hair though!

0 Kudos
ABogd2
Beginner

I cannot say for sure about the true black color, but I did see the same behavior with the gray shades.

Actually I was able to get SR300 to "see" my gray t-shirt by changing initial presets.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I remember that there was an SR300 user who was scanning a sweatshirt with gray and red stripes on it. Only the red stripes were picked up correctly by the camera. Also, in this case too the black hair and beard were not rendered.

0 Kudos
ABogd2
Beginner

color and depth streams are not aligned:

0 Kudos