Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Horrible screen tearing with VSYNC off

OVill1
Beginner

Hello!

How do I get rid of the horrible screen tearing with VSYNC off using my laptop to produce video on an external display? Some games correlate mouse sensitivity with FPS and therefore using VSYNC is impossible. I acknowledge the technology was invented just for this problem but the point is a few years ago I was running this very same laptop with only an external display connected and I experienced next to zero screen tearing whilst now it's literally unusable. I have tried to roll back the drivers but the problem exists.

What I'm trying to get to is a scenario similar to desktops with discrete graphics where you can turn off VSYNC and still have no visible issues in titles such as CS:GO. Right now turning off VSYNC renders some 40-50% of the upper screen a porridge with horizontal lines and misplaced frames. Limiting FPS makes no change. Running the games in windowed mode with VSYNC off in Intel HD properties takes a great bite off performance.

Running a Lifebook E554 with i5-4210M / HD4600 and replicated the issue on my HP 820 with i5-4200U / HD4400. Tried all the connectors (VGA/DPort) and a different monitor.

What was changed in the past two years? IIRC I was using Windows 10 back then as well.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OVill1
Beginner

Enabling MSAA fixes it but again performance was reduced greatly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello xaguoc,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Please check the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005552.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005552.html

With Vertical Synchronization (VSynch), only whole images are displayed on-screen. The feature matches the timing between the displays' refresh rate and vertical blanking interval. Without VSynch, a high-performance graphics product can display extra content faster than the refresh rate allows, resulting in screen tearing.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos