Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Intel 4703 driver will black out for 1 second whenever video plays

JT5
Novice

Acer Aspire XC-704

Intel N3700 with 20.19.15.4703 driver

WIndows 10 1703 15063.502

Whenever a video is played, the whole screen will turn black (with a visible white arrow cursor) for a second and again turn black when you exit the video.

The edge browser (with flash disabled) will start AUTOMATICALLY playing every single HTML5 video within the webpage --- whether the videos are in the main content or the advertisements on the side.

So going to websites like cbsnews.com or abcnews.go.com, it will black out 10 times when you scroll down.

It happens like this:

(1) visit cbsnews.com front page

(2) edge browser auto plays the feature story, the screen blacks out for a second (with white arrow cursor visible).

(3) the screen comes back after a second and you start scrolling down.

(4) when you scroll down enough to not see the feature video anymore, the screen blacks out a 2nd time.

(5) the screen comes back and you start scrolling down.

(6) you scroll down enough to see an ad with a video playing, the screen blacks out a 3rd time.

(7) you scroll down further to pass the ad, the screen blacks out a 4th time.

(8) rinse and repeat for every news item with a video or an ad with a video.

The screen will also black out for a second when playing videos full screen in Netflix app or youtube in edge browser (flash disabled).

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Try the driver from Acer: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6066?b=1 Product support

For reference: cbsnews works fine here in Edge with driver 4703 and Broadwell (Braswell's "big brother")

0 Kudos
JT5
Novice

Do you have flash disabled in edge browser?

Both 4352 and 4624 drivers works fine. I have reverted back to 4624 drivers --- 4624 driver works perfectly with edge browser (flash disabled) and Netflix app.

4703 is completely unusable for me right now. One thing I like to correct from my original post is that I now don't think it blacks out after video portion scrolls out of screen's range. I think it blacks out because it hits another video starts playing (whether they be another feature story or an ad). Because those news websites are so tightly packed with all kinds of videos and ads --- I concentrated on when the main feature video is scrolled off screen at the top that I didn't see it reach a video playing ad on the bottom right hand corner.

The screen does black out when I BOTH enter AND exit full screen video.

The edge browser will black out literally at a minimum 5-6 times on cbsnews, abcnews, nbcnews, cnn...

Auto start feature story video, and the screen blacks out. Screen comes back and I scroll down. Scroll down to an ad playing video and the screen blacks out. Screen comes back and I scroll down. Scroll down to another video news item and the screen blacks out. Screen comes back and I scroll down. Scroll down to a 3rd video news item and the screen blacks out. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the cbsnews main webpage which will contain at least 5-6 video news items and a couple of video ads.

Once the edge browser starts playing the main news feature video and I scroll down and the browser automatically minimize the main feature video to the top right corner (and kept playing the video) --- all the while the screen is black out and doesn't come back. I had to turn off the computer and turn it back on.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

joe9413 schrieb:

Do you have flash disabled in edge browser?

I had to enable it manually after a pop-up showed up.

I can see all adverts incl. those that are abusing my IP address ("taboola").

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Now i managed to nuke Edge

Watching the http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/jeanne-moreau-1928-2017/ Jeanne Moreau gallery at CBSnews causes a massive memory leak.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello joe9413,

Please bear in mind that Intel provides http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver and when you install the generic driver most likely you lose this customization and is when the issue starts.

At this point, I strongly recommend keeping the driver provided for your computer manufacturer as it is the proper driver for your system.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
JT5
Novice

4703 driver is the security update to fix the INTEL-SA-00077 security advisory. Would you mind if you forward this to the security team?

Basically, the screen will black out for about a second when a video starts playing.

Since the edge browser (with flash disabled) will start auto playing HTML5 videos and HTML5 video ads, it will black out half a dozen times when you scroll down a media-rich news website such as cbsnews, abcnews, cnn, nbcnews... If the video doesn't start playing, then the screen is ok. If the video starts playing, then the screen goes black for a second.

idata
Employee

Thank you for clarifying that for me, in this case, for you not to have any problem with the latest graphics driver you will need to update your BIOS to the latest version available from your computer manufacturer website.

If you already have the latest version and the issue persists please let me know if not go ahead and update the BIOS before reinstalling this driver.

You should get support to update the BIOS at:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6067;-;Aspire%20XC-704G https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6067;-;Aspire%20XC-704G

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
JT5
Novice

I already had my BIOS updated to R01.B3 BEFORE the 4703 graphics driver update, so that was not the issue.

Everything is stock, the edge browser has "do not track" turn on and flash disabled.

PS: my exact Acer model is Aspire XC-704 (without the G).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information, in order to further investigate, would please attach your system information. You can use the Intel SSU (System Support Utility) to get the system information:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility:

Download Intel® System Support Utility
  1. Download the utility
  2. Run the exe and select 'Scan'
  3. Save and include as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
JT5
Novice

Here is the system support utility scan results:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Why is there no information anywhere to find what " INTEL-SA-00077" fixes? Do I need to install the driver? What if I have older hardware like HD4000, which this driver obviously doesnt support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information, please allow me to further investigate.

Regards,

Ivan U.
0 Kudos
FBirr
Novice

I also installed version .4703 and had issues.

System: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (20266 / 80AY), BIOS 76CN43WW, Intel i7 4500U, Intel HD Graphics 4400 (driver: 20.19.15.4642), Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 (Network driver: 18.33.6.2) & (BT driver: 19.40.1.1), Intel Management Engine Interface (version 9.5.10.1658), 8GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB

After success installation and rebooted the driver version is 20.19.15.4642 (not .4703) and next shutdown resulted in BSOD. Then I would like to know what this driver supposedly should fix?

Regards,

0 Kudos
JT5
Novice

Windows 10 1703 update 15063.540 still has this black out problem.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

klumsch schrieb:

Why is there no information anywhere to find what " INTEL-SA-00077" fixes? Do I need to install the driver? What if I have older hardware like HD4000, which this driver obviously doesnt support.

https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00077&languageid=en-fr Denial of Service in Kernel in multiple versions of the Intel Graphics Driver allows local attacker to perform a Denial of Service via an Out of Bounds Read

Looks like your GPU ain't affected.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a similar problem with my Dell Venue 11 Pro (7140) with Core M 5y10c HD5300, but with high chance, waking up from Hibernate or sleep, the screen is black in Windows login screen and I cant do anything. I need to wait for about 20 seconds, press power off and on again and I will get a picture to log in. This is really annoying and also happened before with the version before this driver.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information, we will further investigate.

Ivan U.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello joe9413,

We have been unable to reproduce the issue. This could be a conflict with the Edge installation for the thread author. Could you please try clearing all temporary internet files or test with a different browser?

Alternately, wait for the OEM to release latest driver for his particular system.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
JT5
Novice

I just tested Chrome 60.0.3112.101, it does NOT have this problem.

I retested Microsoft Edge 40.15063.0.0 (with the cache cleared), it DOES have this problem --- BOTH with flash enabled AND disabled.

0 Kudos
JT5
Novice

Spoke too soon, I somehow fixed the problem on the Edge browser myself.

I re-enabled flash, then went to adobe's get flash webpage. Adobe's webpage said you don't have to download flash because it's already built in --- then I press the test flash button on the adobe webpage to make sure that flash really works.

Then I went back to the same abcnews website (that I went to 5 minutes ago), NO blackout with edge browser (with flash enabled). This same website HAD blacked out 5 minutes before (with flash enabled edge browser).

Then I disabled flash, clear the edge browser cache, go back to the same abcnews website --- NO blackout with flash disabled edge browser.

0 Kudos